How they do it down under

Ed Cesnalis

These guys need some serious help. The wind sock isn't even straight out, it is still hanging some. Maybe the trees are adding to the mix, but what the heck are they doing ready to land and still crabbed sand sideways to the runway. You either have enough rudder authority or you don't. I didn't see a one actually lined up straight before touch.

Looks like they are in a slip trying to land as short as possible over that tree line. The pitch attitude is what is throwing me off. During my primary training my instructor used to have me do close approaches flying down the centerline and moving the nose from side to side without moving off the centerline. I'm not sure if we are reading more into the video and making assumptions.

Just my 2 cents.

Now on the other hand if they are truly trying to land in a crosswind it looks pretty scary.

Wow that was educational good lesson on how not to crosswind land, there were even a few scary take offs. I think it was the 3 rd one he just about stalled it on the take off. I agree with Roger that sock is either frozen or that was under 10 kts. Far cry from the Bob Hoover video, which was awesome!

But ! This is new Zealand, and these pilots are actually SHEEP being trained AND they are low Hour trainees. most of the poor technique shown is caused by the ewes who simply wont listen under instruction and they usually require at least another 15% time to go solo over the rams.

But ! This is new Zealand, and these pilots are actually SHEEP being trained AND they are low Hour trainees. most of the poor technique shown is caused by the ewes who simply wont listen under instruction and they usually require at least another 15% time to go solo over the rams.

And the very thought of wind SHEAR makes them very, vey nervous.

Archived