Overload clutch and gearbox friction torque

Safety Officer

WIll not try anyway.

In fact I found the notch at TDC by removing the #cylinder 1 sparks plug but even with a light, the hole is ... tiny !

Anyway the crank was properly blocked but I never succed to reach 30°. Will try again anyway.

I agree with Bill:

"It's conversations like these that make this forum worthwhile".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look straight in the hole with a flashlight you can see when the smooth shinny oily surface comes around and then all of a sudden you will see the notch and if you go past it the shinny surface reappears. This should be easy to see. This is the only way I do it and teach it. You have to visualize the "V" notch anyway or you may place the pin in the wrong place or scratch up that metal surface. So either get close by finding TDC for #1 or just watch in the hole as you rotate the prop. Either way you need to see that notch.

I do. It's the same light I use for my inspections. It's the light that came with my Rigid drill combo. Nothing special about it. You just need the right angle and the light makes the shinny surface inside stick out like a neon sign and when the notch comes around you can see the bottom of the notch because it looks like a horizontal line. I teach all the owners that come to the shop how o do it this way.

Maybe if you had a poorly focused light beam, but most bright LED lights of today should work just fine.

I guess this is one of those rare things that others find tricky that has always seemed simple and straightforward to me.

Any light I have at hand seems to work just fine to see the notch - once I have #1 at TDC.

YMMV, naturally.

Archived