8th. Annual page, AZ Fly-In

Roger Lee

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger, we have a flight of two wanting to join the group.  I and my wife in our CTLS N32CT and two friends in a RV12 are making reservations this week.  We plan to join the dinner Wed night.  Please add our names:  Ben Methvin pilot and Flight Design dealer for Atlanta, with wife, Jackie Williamson/Methvin.  My wife will arrive Page on commercial air Wednesday 15th.  The two a/c hope to arrive not later than noon flying from Albuquerque.  Weather, winds etc could affect our schedule  but we plan to depart Atlanta sunday 12th.  Any one with advice for crossing the mountains in these aircraft please feel free to comment as this will be a first for both of us.   Jim Madeley and a not yet confirmed co-pilot will be flying the RV12.  Regards  Ben

Roger - Adaksct again with phone 770 315 6244 in Woodstock, Ga a suburb of Atlanta.   CTLS 32CT planning to join group Wednesday and staying Holliday Inn through Sunday.  Not planning on Raft trip but hope to participate all other activities.  Sorry you can't make it Andy we could have had a flight of three GA boys.  Any advice on flying from Albuquerque to Page with CTLS and RV12 this time of year - will be appreciated.  Ben

Glad to have you. You'll have a great time.  The people are great and the scenery is too. Crossing straight over from GA to NM is an easy flight (not many real Mnts).

Coming out of Albuquerque you'll be higher, but the flight is still an easy one. Leaving on the 12th you may get there on Tues. unless you stay over some where.

We are on our own Wed. for dinner, but will most likely go out in a group. Thursday starts our catered dinners.

Can you get me the other aircraft info?

Thanks

p.s.

Jesse Loy is coming out of Florida and John-Olav comes out of Albuquerque on Tuesday.

Roger, we have a flight of two wanting to join the group.  I and my wife in our CTLS N32CT and two friends in a RV12 are making reservations this week.  We plan to join the dinner Wed night.  Please add our names:  Ben Methvin pilot and Flight Design dealer for Atlanta, with wife, Jackie Williamson/Methvin.  My wife will arrive Page on commercial air Wednesday 15th.  The two a/c hope to arrive not later than noon flying from Albuquerque.  Weather, winds etc could affect our schedule  but we plan to depart Atlanta sunday 12th.  Any one with advice for crossing the mountains in these aircraft please feel free to comment as this will be a first for both of us.   Jim Madeley and a not yet confirmed co-pilot will be flying the RV12.  Regards  Ben

Hey Ben...

I was planning the flight from ATL to Page.  It looked to me like the best crossing for the mountains was to cross near Santa Fe, where there is a nice little gap.  After that you can swing back north and pick around the scattered higher mountainous terrain.  A friend who grew up in the area confirmed that would be a pretty good route.  It's the closest route to direct that I could find to keep me around 10,000 feet (Since you are west-bound 10,500 is probably a good cruise alt in the mountain areas and keeps you within 2000 feet AGL of the taller areas).

You probably also want to time things to get through the mountains early in the morning to keep density altitudes and mountain wind effects to a minimum.

Good luck and have fun!

For those new here, the linked thread below has both our proposed and actual routes of flight from north GA to Page and return.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/1559-fast-eddie-kool-karens-excellent-planned-page-adventure/

We chose North Little Rock since a dealer there had MOGAS.

Route worked out well. Bear in mind we made a lot more fuel stops.

Have fun guys - maybe next year!

Cal Black Memorial Airport (U96) is where we'll be doing the landing and bombing contests.  With a name like that there has to be a story, but I don't know what it is.  The airport sits out in the middle of nowhere and is big, with long/wide runways, and even has fuel (100LL/Jet).  It's about 52 nm from Page, or about a half-hour flight.

Cal%20Black.JPG

https://skyvector.com/airport/U96/Cal-Black-Memorial-Airport  

Confirmed on the Ethanol-free MoGas.... but it's 88 Octane... :(

Also on the Fly-in:  We have the option of having one of the fly-outs be St. George Utah.  1-hour each way.

Several Saturday evening options, depending on # of people and interests.  

Flight Design has asked that we do a CT Group Photo.  Probably to be done Friday.  Watch for more info.

azleejay,

'Been busy buying new place (7 min to KDVT!) and fixing/selling old place... 'haven't been doing much flying in the last month.  Torn rotator cuff in shoulder, too.  SO looking forward to a few perfect days in the air.

Archived