Flat tire on landing

Roger Lee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kurt, looks like they draw about 3.6 amps and 40 watts during peak draws. I'm wondering if the CT charging circuit will handle this load and still provide adequate current to run glass panels and equipment? What about adding the landing light current draw?

Kestrel had the best price, about $760 for the pair. They are 15W average draw which is not very hard on the generator. Running at 5000RPM the generator can supply 200W easily. The landing light is 100W if you don't go with an LED. That's the killer at idle speeds.

That's right, a bit over 200W but I wouldn't count on more than 200. The EFIS and EMS each drain ~15W, a transponder 5W, ditto radio and 3W for a 496 GPS, 2W intercom. Autopilot can be alot in turbulence. Figure 10W to 30W depending. Baseline, a glass paneled plane costs 50W in electricity. Turn the running lights on plus anti-collision and you're up to 70W. It's all no problem at cruise. But if the battery is anemically charged, then landing with 2400RPM, you are down to about 50W of generator output. Adding 100W of landing light at this point will collapse the battery voltage.

Thanks Eric, I was just looking at your airport on Google Earth. At the southern parking ramp I saw a plane with the leading edge of the wing TAPERED towards the wingtips! I don't recognize that at all. Can you tell me what that is?

Looks like the old T-6 Texan that was sitting on the ramp for years. It has since moved to a hanger to hopefully get rebuilt and back in the air!

after reading these flat tire stories last night I went out today to check my tires. they look fine, but I would like to know what brand you think is best for us? I am going to order an extra tire and tube for the nose and main and put them in the plane for cross country trips.

It is little things like this that are such a big help to new owners.

• 2 months later...

The 4.00-4 should be the front tire and the 4.00-6 is a main tire. Desser has a nice 4.00-6 6 ply for the mains. Use the link above for the 4.00-4

Roger,

I don't see the link for the tire in your post.

I have recently joined a club as an instructor and they have been having all the tire problems described here. I would really appreciate a link to the tires you find to be holding up best.

The club ac is an LS with 600-6 all around. I was out there. Last night and intended to take a pic of the tires/wheels. They do have pants but could possible be convinced to remove them if a larger tire and or different wheel provided better life expectancy.

I looked on dressers site but did not see the monster tire?

Thanks to everyone for all the info!

Jim D

Hi Jim,

Here is the link for the 4.00-6 6 ply. The 4.00-6 doesn't have near the options as the 6.00-6 sizes.

http://www.desser.com/store/quicksearch.php?type=tire&size=400-6&ply=6

Here is a link for the 6.00-6 6 ply "monster tread". These wear like iron and you never have to worry about thorn punctures. I would not get the 8 ply it is very stiff and won't hold up any longer.

http://www.desser.com/store/products/600%252d6-6-PLY-MONSTER-RETREAD-AIRCRAFT-TIRE.html

Here's a link to the Aero Classic 400x6 tire available from Desser.

http://www.desser.com/store/products/400%252d6-6-PLY-AERO-CLASSIC-TIRE-TT%7B47%7DTUBELESS.html

And the tube that goes with it.

http://www.desser.com/store/products/13%7B47%7D500%252d6--EXPERIMENTAL%7B47%7DGLIDER-INNER-TUBE.html

Just ordered them this morning myself.

• 5 months later...

Kurt, I have been using the standard Monster retread (the original tire on which the retread was built has the "Condor" brand on the side) for a while (several hundred landings) and I am very pleased with the durability. I suspect that the "Elite" is built on a Goodyear tire carcass rather than Condor (but I'm not sure). If that is how they differ, I wouldn't think that it makes much difference in performance, given the low weight and landing speeds of our planes.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up on the flat tire thread (or is that tread?). Last summer on a return from an overnight trip I landed, taxied up to the hanger, opened the doors, waited while some other stuff happened, then pushed the airplane into the hanger. Between the time I shut it down on the taxiway and the time it was pulled back, the nose gear went flat as a pancake. I refilled it, and it went flat again in about 15 seconds. Had the tire tube changed and it had some of that green goop in it. So apparently it was gooped by the airplane's previous owner and it held until it didn't. Not sure why it quit holding. The old tube is on the wall of my hangar, still holding air almost three months later! So, what about the tire goop? Is that a more practical thing to keep in the airplane for emergencies than a couple of tubes?

For an emergency would be okay, but it will shake.

Don't put any tire sealer in any of the tires on a normal basis or the will be so out of balance the whole plane will shake. Been there done that many years ago. He couldn't have had much in the tube or it would have shook it more than enough for someone to notice.

I never noticed any shake in the nose gear, though the goop was evidently in the tire from the time we bought the airplane over a year before the tire went flat. What really surprised me was that the tire sealer failed so abruptly. Now that tube holds air just fine, like nothing was ever wrong with it. Not that it's going back on the airplane. It will remain on the hangar wall as a reminder, of something.

Archived