My exterior light is out

Roger Lee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fred. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll probably contact the importer to see if he might reduce his price. Since my last post, I have talked to Matt @ FD and he has offered to talk to FD Germany tomorrow to see if the CTLS rotating beacon can be retrofitted to CTSW. Matt also pointed me to Aircraft Spruce and indicates that EPL beacon (part 11-05122) is actually the original factory released beacon and if this is purchased and installed, there would be no need for LOA.. Additionally, the price for this is $350. There is also the ACL III (part 11-10678) which is claimed to be 2 to 3 times brighter yet only a few dollars more at $392 at Spruce. Then, there is the CTLS rotating beacon ARB (part 11-06452 and authorized replacement for CTLS) which is $520 at Spruce. Matt indicates he should get a determination from Germany whether these last two lights require additional authorization to be used in CTSW.

hi Dick Harrison,

thanks for the GREAT info, i have a problem with my old ACL in my CTSW as well.

i tried to change to AVEO RED BARON but after installation, the pulse interrupt my radio.

does the 3 model you mentioned sell in spruce are fit well?.

i would interesting with 11-10678, they are red color right?.

Hi Bobby. All 3 lights fit the CTSW and CTLS. The ACL III is much brighter than original factory ACL II and would be a good choice to replace the original beacon on the CTSW if you are not concerned about sticking to US LSA rules. For US owners, the choice is either the ACL II or the ERB. These beacons are used in production CTSW and CTLS respectively. The information I have is that the ERB is approved for replacement on the CTLS which is sold with this but also for CTSW. This allows US CTSW owners to upgrade to the very bright ERB without LOA from FD. Yes, Aircraft Spruce offers these and all are red.

Hi Bobby. All 3 lights fit the CTSW and CTLS. The ACL III is much brighter than original factory ACL II and would be a good choice to replace the original beacon on the CTSW if you are not concerned about sticking to US LSA rules. For US owners, the choice is either the ACL II or the ERB. These beacons are used in production CTSW and CTLS respectively. The information I have is that the ERB is approved for replacement on the CTLS which is sold with this but also for CTSW. This allows US CTSW owners to upgrade to the very bright ERB without LOA from FD. Yes, Aircraft Spruce offers these and all are red.

thanks Dick Harrison,

appreciated the reply, will start import now from spruce.

will update you later after installation done ok.

So when I switched to AVEO Ultras, I also switched to a 100,000uF cap. The pulsed current from the strobes is quite high so the bigger cap was needed to keep the coupled radio noise down.

hi Kurt,

would you please explain more details about cap?.

do you have the photo of this item?.

how to install it then the pulsed from strobes from AVEO will be gone?.

Word from FD Germany re: ACL installation - the only approved replacement for CTSW beacon is the ACL II beacon, which is the same as the factory installed beacon. If one wishes to install any other ACL, including the CTLS ERB, an LOA is required.

Dick,

Thanks for that info. Is it in writing somewhere so we can refer to it?

Based obtaining an LOA for the installation of Matco brakes, wheels and axles on my CT, here is the process as I understand it. One fills out a "Major Repair or Alteration" (MRA) form and submits this to FD USA (now Dave Armando). Dave then submits the request to FD Germany. Germany then either rubber stamps and approves if it's a "no brainer" or will run the request thru their engineering to determine if it's OK. And, I would guess that it is also run thru their legal department and this may be the main reason for this whole process. One can normally count on a charge for this. In my case, the charge was $150 for the Matco LOA. In answer to Jim's question, no, I do not have a formal answer due to the fact I did not submit the MRA. I only have the email communications between myself and Mathew Fortin at FD USA. Mathew informed my that he had contacted FD Germany and their response was that they would need to issue an LOA for any upgrade to the CTSW ACL. He advised me to contact Dave Armando if I wanted to go forward with the LOA request. In answer to Doug's question, again "no", I didn't get any sense of the degree of difficulty. One would think asking for an upgrade to an already released ACL would fall in the "no brainer" category but there is no way to read the tea leaves here. When I requested the LOA for my CT, the people at FD USA were handling many tasks, including doing the liaison with Germany for LOA's. Now, Dave Armando is at FD USA and he is our contact for issues such as this.

The Matco upgrade has been a fleet approval for years. Always check the LOA approval post section. There are some things FD won't ever approve and approval can take months. (2-10) They have been putting Matco's on at the factory since Jan. 2009 and between 2007 and 2009 it was an individual LOA setup. I put the first Matco's on a CT around July 2007. George at Matco and I got things setup to work with the CT and then I got FD and Matco hooked up and we have had them ever since.

When you make an upgrade and there is already a fleet approval just document the LOA # and date in the logbook and print a copy if you want to add to your documentation. FDUSA does a pretty good job of sending the letters up the chain. FD Germany is a little slow on the return.

The real problem with LOA's or alterations is you have to do all the work first. Take pictures, fill out the forms and send them in. That doesn't mean they will approve it. It can be denied and has been. FDUSA can't always give any pre-approval because they don't always know what FD Germany will say.