Garmin Radio Service Bulletin

Roger Lee

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what is actually wrong with the SL30/40? I know it's a mandatory SB, and they list some vague "emission" problem. Does it interfere with ground based stations identifying the plane? Does it block other signals? We have used these for years without a problem so it seems strange that there is suddenly a mandatory SB.

I had my mechanic pull the radio and call for an RMA. He reinstalled it since I want to be sure we have it for Page. After that trip, we'll send it in. I can only imagine what words will be said during next year's annuals when the A&P's do an SB search and find out they have to send in the radio! I use Rex Johnson up in Tulsa and he is THOROUGH. He won't let a plane go out unless the entire book is completely in order, which is the way it should be. There will probably be a few ticked off owners also. Garmin will surely extend this out instead of just 2 more days. They sure stood behind us with support on the G1000...

John

Here is an email from Garmin extending the SB and stating that SL30's must go through a dealer:

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi Patrick,

If you have properly identified the mod levels of your SL30 the unit does need to have SB0921 performed and I would encourage you to have the work done. We are requesting that all SL30 units be returned through an authorized Garmin dealer and I apologize if this causes you any inconvenience. Please note that warranty coverage for the factory work that is part of the bulletin has been extended another month until October 29, 2010, so as to allow us to accommodate additional customers.

Best Regards,

Bill Parsons

Customer Support Manager

Garmin AT Aviation Product Support

503-581-8101 voice

503-364-2138 fax

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This was sent to a person on the Vans Airforce forum.

RF -- Have been able to check to see if the settings came back as sent??

Tony, I put the radio back in on Saturday, but had forgot to take my headsets with me, so wasn't able to check it until today. The only thing I found changed was the squelch level. All of my frequencies in memory were still there, and the radio sounded good.

FYI: Those that went through a 'required' dealer, be prepared for charges. I've got a bill for outbound freight plus 'bench' check time.

I had the Garmin dealer request the RMA, but packaged and shipped the unit myself. So I of course paid the bill for the freight. There was no other charge when it was returned to me at the dealer.

Mine is due back today... 'was sweating it a bit with the fly-in next week. You can call the same phone number and get a return tracking number... just give them your RMA #. So, it took one week exactly, from the time it was delivered to them, until it was delivered back to me.

Tim

PS... The Sept 30 "deadline" seems to be a bit flexible... it has been extended, but they won't pay the 1 hour R&R fee anymore. Or so I'm told.

When you get your radio back someone should place a logbook label in your Blue aircraft logbook.

It was a mandatory bulletin so it should get logged.

It may read something like this, but may not have these exact words:

9-25-2010 205.5 hrs. TTSN Maintenance performed on N703AB Aircraft serial #: 07-03-10

In accordance with the Garmin mandatory Service Bulletin #0921 Rev. C dated June 11, 2010 this Garmin Apollo SL40 radio (serial #25087639, part #430-6040-203) was removed and sent to Garmin for its modification and warranty repair, reference RMA # 219036. This unit now has modifications as per Garmin U,AA, AB, AC, AD, AE and now complies with this service bulletin.

Signed: John Doe (A&P, RLSM-A or Avionics repair person)

Don't forget to keep the return paperwork from Garmin with your normal maint. paperwork.

My SL40 went out on a Friday and came back all total of 10 days. I expedited the shipping and was charged $29 for this by the avionics shop (Preferred Avionics in Howell, Mi). No other charges and all of my settings were put back on the radio by Garmin. My repair shop didn't tell me this but I think that Garmin may have provided avionics shops with one hour labor to carry out the fix? I don't think there should have been a charge due to this?

Sent mine on Monday, 10/4/10. The USPS says Garmin AT should have received it on Wed., 10/6/10. I called yesterday, 10/11/10 and was told that it had not yet been taken care of. The only thing they would commit to is sending it out by Thursday, 10/14/10 - but possibly earlier. If it doesn't ship back by today, my weekend flying plans are shot unless I want to pay for next-day service.

After return, the side-tone on mine needed serious adjustment. It was set at 128, which is mid-range. At that setting, my voice was much louder than the other side of the conversation. Changing the side-tone to 30 fixed it back to normal.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for help with the settings on my SL40. I tried a new set of Telex 50D's yesterday and seem to have too must background noise when transmitting. I have 270 hours with Lightspeeds and haven't have this problem with them.

The SL40 has the following adjustable settings. Where should they be set? Is the problem the Mic squelch?

HDPHONE LVL 000-255

MIC1 SQLCH 000-127

MIC2 SQLCH 000-127

TRANSMIT MIC 1+2

INTCOM LVL 000-255

SIDTON LVL 000-255

Thanks,

Tip

Archived