Cutting down on crosswind component

FastEddieB

Consider it "pilot technique."

Like many other things in aviation, not everybody subscribes to it.

Personally, I have tried the technique in my CTSW and really did not see a noticeable difference in the results.  As someone pointed out already, it just adds risk on the ground rollout, under windy conditions already.

If the direct crosswind is 18 knots, what will 2 degrees in azimuth reduce it by?  If attempting to get below 17 knots crosswind component, maybe that is accomplished, but what business do I have there anyway?

Call me old fashion, but I prefer to keep the runway centerline right between the two main gear . . . where it should be.

Imagine this . . . after wiping out two runway edge lights and tearing off the left main wheel fairing, the insurance adjuster and FAA safety inspector remarks, "dude, what were you thinking?"

To each his own, eh?

I agree with your post Bill. 

If you can not maintain the center line on takeoff or landings during crosswind conditions, you are mighty close too, or have exceeded either your abilities as a pilot, or your aircraft's limitations.

Without the immediate deviation reference the center line offers, it's easy to get behind in cross wind correction techniques.

A headwind landing at an angle to the runway?  There is no way the CT will let you turn the nosewheel at 50 kts touchdown speeds in order to realign with the centerline if your velocity vector is pointing at the runway edge.  It will be either a ground loop, or an off runway excursion.  The responsible pilot won't go up when xwinds exceed placarded aircraft limits.

Without the immediate deviation reference the center line offers, it's easy to get behind in cross wind correction techniques.

Let me just say that we differ in the importance of the center line.

If it's there, I use it most of the time. Watch most of my videos and you'll see I take pride in putting the nosewheel down right ON the centerline, conditions permitting.

But seriously, pilots routinely land just fine in crosswinds on grass and dirt fields every day, without needing a centerline to show "immediate deviation" from it. Never once in the landing in the video did I ever have any doubt as to exactly where I was relative to the runway, centerline notwithstanding.

Eddie, your video reminded me of a landing at Palanga,Lithuania (EYPA) back in 2004.There was quite a crosswind for my ultralight (then a Ikarus C42) and the tower asked, are you sure this is not too much for you? The Lady Controller permitted to land on the wide Asphalt ahead of the threshold and then diagonally on the 45m wide runway bringing me and my following second UL to a stop just after crossing the centerline. However, two days later we were not that lucky, planning to land at Riga, Latvia, we had to divert back to Siauliai in Lithuania due to for us unmanageable crosswinds.

In the CTLS, when crosswinds are an issue, I use a slip and either 0 or -6 flaps, and that seems to work for me on every instance. I realize it may not be everybody's cup of tea but I haven't bent anything and gets me safe on the ground.

From the POH: "In principle, the CTLS can be landed irrespective of flap position".

Cheers

Archived