Buy and fly (First flight is 1600 statute miles)

freedomaddict

freedomaddict, was that really your *first* flight in a CT?  Do you have lots of experience with very light airplanes?  Many people coming from heavier airplanes have a hard time with the low inertia and light controls.  

Good on ya for the trip, that sounds like a lot of fun!  Hope to see you at Page in October if you can make it. 

I have taken 3 demo rides in CTSWs over the last 8 years (No take off or landings) and I have flown REMOS couple of times, Sky arrow, Quicksilver 500GT, Allegro, Titan Tornado and  few others as well. Some of those I was permitted to take off and land.  

I have taken 3 demo rides in CTSWs over the last 8 years (No take off or landings) and I have flown REMOS couple of times, Sky arrow, Quicksilver 500GT, Allegro, Titan Tornado and  few others as well. Some of those I was permitted to take off and land.  

How did you find landing in the CTSW?

How did you find landing in the CTSW?

I was surprised at how uneventful it was. Hardest thing about it is slowing down and flying by the numbers.  I read all the accident data from the NTSB website and was expecting it to be a challenge. The sight picture is different. Having flown a variety of experimental and factory airplanes probably helped. Personally I liked the Remos flight characteristics a little better, but it was too small for me. I am 6'2" and weigh 200 lbs. I have to scrunch down a little to see out the side window in the Remos. It is also narrower. 

Biggest challenge now is to not fly in to much gusting wind. West Texas is a pretty windy place. All my landings so far have been 15 degrees of flaps. I really haven't played with all its capability yet. Still got a lot to learn about the airplane.

I was surprised at how uneventful it was. Hardest thing about it is slowing down and flying by the numbers.  I read all the accident data from the NTSB website and was expecting it to be a challenge. The sight picture is different. Having flown a variety of experimental and factory airplanes probably helped. Personally I liked the Remos flight characteristics a little better, but it was too small for me. I am 6'2" and weigh 200 lbs. I have to scrunch down a little to see out the side window in the Remos. It is also narrower. 

Biggest challenge now is to not fly in to much gusting wind. West Texas is a pretty windy place. All my landings so far have been 15 degrees of flaps. I really haven't played with all its capability yet. Still got a lot to learn about the airplane.

So far your reports are matching reality.  The FD will balloon easily if you don't wait for the plane to drop to the runway after leveling out (some of us like 15 flaps some like more).  But the good news is, as long as you keep the centerline between your legs and pull steadily back on the stick after leveling out you will make a good mains touchdown everytime.  just remember to keep the stick back, don't release it right after touchdown.  once you are rolling on the runway you can release the stick and start to feather your brakes to make your taxi exit.

the FD likes to move and it likes to fly...so more patience is needed to both land and taxi.  feather the brakes, dont pull hard on them.  the 12 to 18kt taxi is about the sweet spot, make your turns about 10 to 12kts if possible.

Impressive Freedomaddict just to get in an aircraft and fly it away!

As a matter of interest how many hours do you have in total and over what period? Hope you don't mind me asking!!

This may make some of you smile and some of you mad.

I met a guy last fall who got his Microlight licence last summer - you can do it here in as little as 25 hours ab initio.

As soon as he got his ticket, he bought a plane (a Zenair 701 clone & 80hp Rotax) from a flying club in Portugal over the phone.   

He and a friend flew out there paid for the plane and took off for home with zero time in that model and I'd guess 40-60 hours under the belt in total.

They flew Portugal, Spain, France, England, Ireland, crossing four international boundaries and making two sea crossings on the way.

When he arrived in Ireland they temporarily impounded his plane because they didn't believe him!

Some will see it as foolishness, but I have to say, I didn't half respect him for his spirit of adventure.....

Impressive Freedomaddict just to get in an aircraft and fly it away!

As a matter of interest how many hours do you have in total and over what period? Hope you don't mind me asking!!

I don't mind.

I have 2800TT over the last 30 years Instrument rated

So far your reports are matching reality.  The FD will balloon easily if you don't wait for the plane to drop to the runway after leveling out (some of us like 15 flaps some like more).  But the good news is, as long as you keep the centerline between your legs and pull steadily back on the stick after leveling out you will make a good mains touchdown everytime.  just remember to keep the stick back, don't release it right after touchdown.  once you are rolling on the runway you can release the stick and start to feather your brakes to make your taxi exit.

the FD likes to move and it likes to fly...so more patience is needed to both land and taxi.  feather the brakes, dont pull hard on them.  the 12 to 18kt taxi is about the sweet spot, make your turns about 10 to 12kts if possible.

Thx for the tips------According to FAA records there are now 23 CTs in Texas

This may make some of you smile and some of you mad.

I met a guy last fall who got his Microlight licence last summer - you can do it here in as little as 25 hours ab initio.

As soon as he got his ticket, he bought a plane (a Zenair 701 clone & 80hp Rotax) from a flying club in Portugal over the phone.   

He and a friend flew out there paid for the plane and took off for home with zero time in that model and I'd guess 40-60 hours under the belt in total.

They flew Portugal, Spain, France, England, Ireland, crossing four international boundaries and making two sea crossings on the way.

When he arrived in Ireland they temporarily impounded his plane because they didn't believe him!

Some will see it as foolishness, but I have to say, I didn't half respect him for his spirit of adventure.....

Crossing an ocean in any single engine airplane and especially one I just bought would be outside my comfort zone.

Here in the States people fly from Florida to the Caribbean Islands all the time, but the water is warm and they take inflatable life

rafts. 

Archived