Seat belt news

Tip

Here you go. As I mentioned, it's simplicity itself, and holds things much better. Maybe not 100%, but good enough it doesn't bother me anymore. Just wrap the tape all around the center bar and the trailing bar (the side where you pull tighter), that's where the tension is set and where you need additional friction.

If it's still not enough, just add more tape.20150708_162822_zpspui4u1kv.jpg20150708_162908_zpsvioilewk.jpg

Hi Andy,

This may sound dumb, but what is grip tape exactly? I can make an assumption, but I'd like to try the right stuff before I go down Matt's replacement route.

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

This may sound dumb, but what is grip tape exactly? I can make an assumption, but I'd like to try the right stuff before I go down Matt's replacement route.

Thanks!

It's just tape designed to enhance grip...it's usually used on athletic gear.  I went to the local Academy Sports and got a roll marked "bat tape", designed to wrap around the grip end of baseball bats.  There are some kinds that are cloth, they look almost like gauze, others are rubbery.  I like the cloth type, and that's what's in the pictures.  The important part is to make sure the tape is "self adhesive" -- it has to stick to itself.  

The tape is tacky and not "sticky", so it won't generate residue on your seatbelts and buckles.

Mike, thanks for the link.

Andy, this looks like the same tape the nurse wraps my arm with to hold the cotton after I give blood.  I've got a roll of it and will give this a try.

Now that you mention it, I think it's the same stuff, or similar enough to try.

It's just tape designed to enhance grip...it's usually used on athletic gear.  I went to the local Academy Sports and got a roll marked "bat tape", designed to wrap around the grip end of baseball bats.  There are some kinds that are cloth, they look almost like gauze, others are rubbery.  I like the cloth type, and that's what's in the pictures.  The important part is to make sure the tape is "self adhesive" -- it has to stick to itself.  

The tape is tacky and not "sticky", so it won't generate residue on your seatbelts and buckles.

Andy,

Was it much of a hassle to thread the tape around the bars?

Dick,

The Red Cross uses an elastic gauze that sticks to itself.

That's not what this is. This is more like rubbery sandpaper with adhesive on the back. You can get it at a skate board shop.

Mike Koerner

I am NOT using skateboard tape.  That is more like wing walk material.  This *is* more like the red cross tape, though the adhesive causing it to self stick might be a little stronger than the medical tape.

I would not use the "sandpaper" type, it would probably reduce the live of your seatbelts, and might put some sandy "dust" in your cockpit.  That said, if you want to try that type, go for it!  Just saying why I didn't want to use it, it might be fine.

Andy,

Was it much of a hassle to thread the tape around the bars?

Getting to the center bar is a little bit of a hassle, but not too bad.  The bar floats a little in the middle, just push it to make the gaps as big as possible and slip the tape in the gap, then wrap it around.  The rest is cake.  Took ten minutes to do one harness, including cutting the tape.

BTW, I have had this tape on for about ten hours of flying, as you see it's still doing well and not wearing out yet.  I expect I'll have to replace the tape every 25-50 hours, but maybe not.  If it holds the belts in place well enough, there is no real reason it should wear out.

OK, let's kill a dead horse here.  How about using the silicon self fusing emergency repair tape.  This is amazing stuff and once it contacts, it fuses and cannot be peeled off itself.  This is kind of sticky and would grab the seat belts but there's no residue from it.  I use it to finish off the ends of the fire sleeves on my engine.  One lengthwise layer of wrap around each bar or maybe just around the inner bar?  Probably would last a long time.  What do you think?

OK, let's kill a dead horse here.  How about using the silicon self fusing emergency repair tape.  This is amazing stuff and once it contacts, it fuses and cannot be peeled off itself.  This is kind of sticky and would grab the seat belts but there's no residue from it.  I use it to finish off the ends of the fire sleeves on my engine.  One lengthwise layer of wrap around each bar or maybe just around the inner bar?  Probably would last a long time.  What do you think?

Might work, but I'm not sure how it will hold up. Is the belt tension going to shred little pieces of silicone all over your cockpit? I have no idea. It might be too thick to slide between the belts and the bars. You can certainly try it and see...

• 1 month later...

Howdy All,

Thanks to Matt for the referral to Crowe Enterprizes (yes, with a "z") for my new seat harnesses. For $150, plus shipping, I have all new belts, with vastly superior shoulder tensioners. One change from the photo Matt posted is the buckles themselves; his are metal and larger than the OEM, while the ones I ultimately went with are more like what FD installed. They are much lighter and less likely to ding the interior or exterior paint when carelessly unbuckled.

If you are looking to fix the off-the-shoulder problem we all have with the FD OEM harnesses, contact Fred at Crowe (http://www.crowenterprizes.com/). Feel free to use my name so you can access the design we used.

:lightbulb_idea-1364:

post-1192-0-70559500-1439764986_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

I made an invent that seems works fine. I will send a couple of pictures. It is easy, cheap and can be removed in 10 seconds. I was affraid belt will be difficult to remove if upside down or a fast exit was required but just pressing in the middle, the belt is open easily.

My problem is mainly that when I tight the seatbelt, the low part comes up and up and does not its job, with this 5th point it keeps low and tight, i tried to "jump" seated and it seems it holds me in place and makes not possible to hit the roof of the plane.

Archived