CUB CRAFTER QUICK BUILD

gbigs

Yes, of course, but that is what this is about. If an owner basically has the plane built for them can they get a repairman certificate knowing very little about the plane?

Oh, and is it difficult to get an A&P to work on an experimental?

Yes, of course, but that is what this is about. If an owner basically has the plane built for them can they get a repairman certificate knowing very little about the plane?

I don't think so or, at least, not at my home base.

There are a covey (or is it a gaggle :-)) of RVs at my field and what amounts to an RV maintenance hangar next to me.  A couple local A&Ps (one is the local DAR) do inspections on a frequently basis.

The carbon and fiberglass planes are special...a Lancair has a continental engine, Rotax for FD, Pipistrel and Remos, Cirrus uses continental, Diamond uses AERO diesels now.  Any A&P performing repairs, annuals, or maint. need to also be expert in the materials and engines used to make these planes.

Lone Mountain in Las Vegas, for example specializes in Cirrus and Diamond work.  And they are the Flight Design go to guys on the West Coast.  I have seen several Lancair's in their shop at various times too...they work on them all...

Sure, any mechanic should be able to maintain a Continental or Lycoming, and more and more are available for the ROTAX.

The problem that may present itself is when your particular build has problems with its pressurization controls, let's say. Very, very few mechanics will be versed on troubleshooting that sort of problem on your particular plane.

Similarly your avionics stack, while containing known electronics, will be a one-off implementation. And very will be familiar with your particular de-ice system. Or fuel system.

And so on.

And some mechanics may balk at the legality of them performing a maintenance task they have zero prior experience with.

Not insurmountable, but best kept in consideration when something goes awry in E Podunk, KY.

4) So, I sign off my annual condition inspections as "Owner" and list my certificate number, same as my pilot's license.

I don't think you should be signing it off as owner. That would be like me signing off the annual inspection on my Piper Warrior as owner, because I am also a A&P with IA and they are the same number. When you are signing off the condition inspection you are signing as a LSRi, not owner.

Doug, here is what the regulations say. I made the important part bold.

65.104   Repairman certificate—experimental aircraft builder—Eligibility, privileges and limitations.

(a) To be eligible for a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder), an individual must—

(1) Be at least 18 years of age;

(2) Be the primary builder of the aircraft to which the privileges of the certificate are applicable;

(3) Show to the satisfaction of the Administrator that the individual has the requisite skill to determine whether the aircraft is in a condition for safe operations; and

(4) Be a citizen of the United States or an individual citizen of a foreign country who has lawfully been admitted for permanent residence in the United States.

(B) The holder of a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder) may perform condition inspections on the aircraft constructed by the holder in accordance with the operating limitations of that aircraft.

© Section 65.103 does not apply to the holder of a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder) while performing under that certificate.

Depends on how well they know you. If I worked on public aircraft, I would look at an experimental  you own for sure, but I would probably have my lawyer draft an agreement about the nature of amateur built experimentals for liability reasons.

The biggest thing I have about it, is there's no manufacturer other than the builder, and while the kit mfg could help, there's no guarantee the builder stuck to the plans, so experimental quite literlally means "an experiment".

Sure, any mechanic should be able to maintain a Continental or Lycoming, and more and more are available for the ROTAX.

The problem that may present itself is when your particular build has problems with its pressurization controls, let's say. Very, very few mechanics will be versed on troubleshooting that sort of problem on your particular plane.

Similarly your avionics stack, while containing known electronics, will be a one-off implementation. And very will be familiar with your particular de-ice system. Or fuel system.

And so on.

And some mechanics may balk at the legality of them performing a maintenance task they have zero prior experience with.

Not insurmountable, but best kept in consideration when something goes awry in E Podunk, KY.

As I noted.  The engine and avionics are under their own warranty and are from established manufacturers well supported in the field.  The engine the TCM TSIO-550-E and the avionice  all Garmin G3x.

The airframe is not a black box of magic parts and hidden compartments.  And as i noted, Lone Mountain does work on all versions of Lancairs, the IV-P and ES-P included.  The builder also has mechanics on staff and they support all their products as well, offering annuals, and other work.  They build every model of Lancair..including a dozen Evolutions...the big boy on the block.

As I indicated, I have no interest in being my own mechanic or doing my own annuals.

Based upon what you have stated, it looks like you are putting together a meticulously great package with some quality builders that have a good reputation. Hope it all comes together, without any major hangups.

Thanks Mr. Ince.  So far, so good.

By the way. Be sure to pay close attention to the "recreation or education" part of E-AB. I don't know how picky ASIs will be, but in strict reading, that means you can't use it to go meet a client, for example. Best to just keep mouth zipped :P

I don't think you should be signing it off as owner. That would be like me signing off the annual inspection on my Piper Warrior as owner, because I am also a A&P with IA and they are the same number. When you are signing off the condition inspection you are signing as a LSRi, not owner.

I guess that's right.

Since an LSRi is only issued to an owner of a specific aircraft for that specific aircraft, I suppose the "owner" part could be assumed.

Still, adding that bit of info might make it a little clearer the LSRi is, in fact, for that particular aircraft which I own.

You have to sign it as your certificate. "Owner" is not a certificate.

Interestingly, when A&Ps sign as "Name, Signature, AP XXXXXXX", that's also technically not correct (AP are ratings), but it is accepted per an advisory circular tthat I once read, and I don't remember which. It should be "Name, Signature, Mechanic, XXXXXXX". If one of you finds it, please link! There's some other good information in it.

I know little or nothing about the topic, but I think I would sign exactly the same as the piece of paper in my pocket that authorizes me to do the work.

That last part, without a doubt, is the reasoning for signing our certificate type and number. It makes a statement to what authorization I have performed the work under.

On further reflection...

...the only thing my LSRM-I certificate authorizes me to do is annual condition inspections on my own plane.

Hence, that certificate number is not relevant to any maintenance performed. In fact, listing my Commercial license # is also unnecessary. I think I got in that habit from logbook entries for standard category planes, where only the licensed owner is allowed to perform certain limited maintenance tasks.

Maintenance on an Experimental can be performed by anyone - hence no certificate number is required nor relevant for maintenance tasks - the LSRM-I has nothing to do with that. In fact, the 16 hour course material is focused mainly on how to inspect a Light Sport, not how to maintain it.

So, the only logbook entries that would benefit from having "LSRM-I" in the entry would be the short ones for the annual condition inspection, not the ones describing work performed.

Right?

I keep forgetting you are experimental, and didn't check the entries you posted. Yes, write in the LSR-I for inspections. Leave the rest alone.

Also, the licensed owner are not the only ones who can do preventive maintenance on standard aircraft, if that is what you are saying. The reg specifies owner or operator, so a pilot, or flight school staff, for example, can too, as these are both operators. That was a lot of commas.

I keep forgetting you are experimental...

It's only that Experimental status that I thought made some of my observations relevant to the OP.

The reg specifies owner or operator....

I think I knew that, hence my listing of both by my signature.

Still, a habit that carried over from standard category aircraft, and not really relevant for my Sky Arrow post-conversion to Experimental.

Archived