Here's Something New...iMFD

FlyingMonkey

Avionics continue to mature at a breakneck pace, and this company has come up with a brilliant concept!

This is a device installed in the panel that talks to the pitot/static system and engine probes.  The innovation is that the unit has no display at all, it talks through Bluetooth to an iPad to display AHARS or engine monitor information!  It's essentially the equivalent of a Dynon D-180 where the display is an iPad (or iPhone if you prefer).  Very good idea, IMO...instead of spending $3000+ on a D-100 or equivalent, you can spend $1000 and use the iPad you are already using in the cockpit for your information.  

One forum member who shall remain nameless swore we'd *never* see an autopilot controlled from an iPad.  With this device, we are just a whisker away from that.  It will happen, IMO.

http://www.guardianavionics.com/fms650.html

especially this time of year, I guarantee if you put it in the sun, or leave it in a hot cabin, you'll get this little surprise....

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2014/05/dont-let-ipad-overheat-crash/

Depending on how hot it gets, it can take 5-15 minutes before it's ready to go again.... 

Hmm...I run mine in Georgia in the summer at 95°F+ OAT, and never had this problem, even leaving it in the airplane on the ramp for a few hours.  It might be because my cradle is positioned such that vent air can blow onto the back of the iPad.  Lucky I guess!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had it happen twice.  I use it (iPad mini) as a kneeboard; so now anytime it's in direct sunlight, I slide it around to keep it out of direct illumination by the sun.  You can find more mentions of the problem in NSRS (NASA Safety Reporting System).  It is something to be aware of, especially in an airplane like ours that has so much window....

The Garmin 796, GTN 650, GTN 750, Dynon Skyview Touch, Garmin G3x touch  are all in panel, professional, low cost  anti-reflective, pinch/zoom touch glass.  They provide PFD/MFD/EFB/GPS/Nav/Navcom without heat or sunlight issues for the Experimental and SLSA market,

They range in size from 7 to 10.5 inches in size.   All take power from the plane and some have an internal battery as backup. All interface to ADHRS, pitot, radios, engine, autopilot directly. Most have bluetooth and SDS card for flight plans & software updates.

Using the iPad as a position backup and kneeboard EFB is fine.  But trying to use one as a primary piece of Avionics is ill-advised at best.

http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=34472&imid=2

This ARV Super 2 panel design angles the entire six pack downwards, presumably to reduce glare.  Anybody ever  tried angling their Ipad downwards like this to make the screen easier to read in bright sunlight?

(The aircraft was a  British attempt to fill the hole left by the US manufacturers' issues with product liability.  It failed because it tried to develop and new engine for the new aircraft and the engine let it down.)

Archived