Tail Strike add on

Roger Lee

Hi All,

If you have ever struck your tail or pushed it down too hard and struck it on the ground you may have wondered what you can do to keep this from happening. Look at the pics below and see what a tail strike may do. It may only scratch it or do a little more damage. Then look at the tail strike saver plate in the next picture. I understand you can pick these up at Airtime Aviation which is Tulsa FD.

Tail strikes while flying usually come from trying to make a nose high full stall landing and trying to make the same landing under power.

post-3-051902100 1287783048_thumb.jpg

post-3-068078600 1287783055_thumb.jpg

Hi Roger. I saw tail skids installed on some CTLS's at Zone Aviation (a FD distributor) at Lorain County Regional airport in Ohio. I recall Zone telling me the skid is now a FD released part? They were going to check to see if there was a skid released for CTSW's but didn't get back to me. The tail section of the CTLS and CTSW are different widths where the skid attaches so the skids must be different shapes to fit each. There might be two fasteners that had to be epoxied into the tail for the two attaching bolts.

Roger, good news that the skid is now released for production. You have seen tails that have been damaged based on your photos and I have also seen this occur. My own CTSW's tail was "pavement tested" but this was a brief, non-damaging event which occured during an attempt (not mine) at landing with zero flaps and too low airspeed. Adding a skid is on my list.

Tony, that is a great idea to add the wheel to the taill and it appears that the modification was done well. The drawing shows there is an outer layer of glass and it looks like this layer was feathered and then the tail fin was repainted? If you have more details such as how the roller blade wheel was fastened to the plate, it would be appreciated. Is there an inner plate and an outer plate bolted to this which holds the wheel? Is there a possibility that one could send a underfin to you and get this done? I'm thinking if done "same as" your plane, it would make getting the LOA much easier.

Okay, I'll confess... It was my tail and that happened up in Page with a crappy, bouncer landing after getting into some propwash. Luckily, that was the only damage except to my ego. Tail is already repaired and ready to remount. My body shop guy, who knows us real well, is also an A&P and he's even done the paperwork. After chasing down the skids through John Hurst and Sebring, he said they were out of stock and to call Matt at FD in Connecticut. They are completely out but I have one on backorder so when it comes in, I'll get it installed.

John

John --

Don't feel bad. I put a very healthy scrape down ours the first 25hrs.

When you get the 'part', I'd be interested as to what is said regarding 'installer' qualifications... I understand you will be installing a part, whereas we did a modification to the appendage. We needed to qualify the credentials so they meet, or exceed, factory requirements, etc... We also added one pound, so new W&B cert required.

Thanks,

Hi John,

I use "Goof Off". It is like lighter fluid and will not hurt your plane or wind shield. Use it to remove old adhesive. Yes I would wipe the tape area first to clean it. I usually only mess with it once a year. No secrets, just don't stretch it on, but lay it down. Under the wing root it is a little tricky and you may not get it perfect. Don't tear your hair out of the little imperfections. Under the wing root is the only tricky part. I use my little finger to push it up into the 90 degree corner. Don't pull out more than about 6" 0f tape at a time under there or you will get frustrated.

As you pull the tape off the roll, it will stretch it. Hold the tape slack a few seconds to let it relax and then just take up the slack and lay it down. If you don't get it straight, you can pull it up and lay it back down again. It allows one to lay it down and pull it off and reapply a few times without loosing it's adhesion. It really doesn't seem to yellow and it holds up extremely well. My wing joints and under fin were taped over a year ago and it looks as good as when I first did it. The tape is very good quality and once you get the nack for applying it, things go well. As Roger says though, the fuselage and wing joint at the underside is a frustrating area to do and mine didn't come out as nice as the other areas I've done. Being able to pull the tape off in the spots where it doesn't go on right and reapply a few times helps a lot. I cleaned all surfaces with alcohol before taping.

Hi Kurt,

I have been using Goof Off for 3 years and have never had any issues even when spilled on the glass so long as it is cleaned right away. I take everyone's tape residue off with it. I said it works like lighter fluid not actually lighter fluid. I pour it on a rag first then wipe. I never pour any cleaning solvents on the plane direct. I only use this because standard soap and water type products don't remove the tape residue. It is also rarely used because you rarely have to remove the tape if done correctly.

Hi Kurt,

Naptha would work just as good. I don't use acetone or MEK because that will ruin the paint if you get to much on and you may not know where that break even point is until its too late. If you use too much of one of those and it soaks a little too much into the surface it could collapse the foam and cause a defect. I try to keep people away from things that are too marginal. You could get away with it with a dab on a rag, but some may not do it that way then a problem will arise.

Archived