Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull

gbigs

This subject has come up every 6 months for the last 7-8 years. It was discussed long before it was discussed here and probably since flight has been around. Just like flaps or no flaps on take off. There is no right or wrong here, just different ways.

It is one side of the fence or the other side. They both work or one side of the fence group would have all crashed. Why not just relize there is more than one way to skin a cat or land.

It all works as we are all prof that it does. Pick a side and don't pick on your brother next door because that is what your mother taught you.

Roger,

Remember way back when, when you were advocating the low approach?  Sometimes it is a good thing to influence one's peers.

From your post you would think there were people here saying only my way works but I don't hear that at all in this conversation.  It remains fair to point out certain realities of physics that favor slow landings and it should be ok to voice that in a civil manner.

Now that the POA Spin Zone is closing you might want to give us pilots more freedom to talk without being muzzled.  We are after all a bunch of nice people as is well evidenced when we meet up at a fly-in.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree with CT and Morden et al.  At first I thought there was only one 'right' way to do it (talking calm wind landings)...but I see it can be done with more flaps, slower speeds and holding off till full stick back.   I am gonna try it out.  

I just sorta grooved the faster speeds with 15 flaps and since i have not seen inordinate tire wear or brake wear i have seen no reason to deviate from it.

I am hangared on an international airport with 150 foot wide concrete runways, one 11k & 9k feet long and often have to ask for a long landing due to the long taxi I have left after landing.

I am moving to a much faster plane next...and really much faster pattern and landing speeds (78 kias over the numbers, full flaps).  And am a little freaked out over flying much faster on landings.  But am ready for the learning curve and transition.

Sorry if I played a part in dragging this thread off-topic - it really should try to get back to the CAPS pull in the OP.

My take on the landing issue is summed up in thread below, so no need to regurgitate it here yet again.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/1888-a-cautionary-tale-of-two-landing-accidents

Believe it or not, I just reread the thread I just linked to.

Fascinating from both a historical, and even a psychological perspective.

And ironic that it went in the reverse direction - it began as a discussion of landing speeds but diverged into a BRS discussion!

Regardless, some good stuff there.

Archived