Brake failure scenario

coppercity

Ok, so does everyone check for adequate brake pressure soon after starting to taxi, and prior to landing? If not, you should.

Now let's say on your downwind leg as part of your pre landing checklist you pull the ole brake lever and it freely moves to the aft stop. You pump it a couple times, thinking it's just those older Italian brakes (cursing you should have switched to Matcos) but still no pressure builds.

How will you change your traffic pattern and landing configuration to cope with this failure?

What will be your actions after you are on the ground?

What are some possible failure points in our brake system that could cause this malfunction?

I'd configure for a short field landing, hit the numbers then coast. I'd kill the engine once I was comfortable I had rollout under control on the ground, then coast and hopefully find a taxiway when I've slowed down sufficiently so I don't tie up the runway. My runway is 7100' so I'm sure I've got enough to coast to a stop :)

Ok, so does everyone check for adequate brake pressure soon after starting to taxi, and prior to landing? If not, you should.

Now let's say on your downwind leg as part of your pre landing checklist you pull the ole brake lever and it freely moves to the aft stop. You pump it a couple times, thinking it's just those older Italian brakes (cursing you should have switched to Matcos) but still no pressure builds.

How will you change your traffic pattern and landing configuration to cope with this failure? At home station, Class D, notify tower but not declare an emergency. With 6 and 8K runways no change in landing technique. With a short runway' drag it in with 15 flaps and do a short field over a fifty foot obstacle landing by chopping power and ?perhaps dump some more flaps? once over the threshold and control speed in the 50 range with pitch.....I'm guessing at this technique, as I have never practiced it in an Light Sport, so please tell me if this this short field approach and landing technique is not recommended.

What will be your actions after you are on the ground? Keep it straight and raise the flaps and dont worry about turning off the runway at the first taxi way. At UNICOM fields announce all movement once on the ground so the guy behind you has a clue but try not to stop on the runway, someway clear it even if you have to announce shutting her down and push it off the side of the runway.

What are some possible failure points in our brake system that could cause this malfunction?

leaky seal in the master cylinder....located in the tunnel?

A short field landing would only take about 800 feet of the 6000 available at my home airport. Then I'd try taxiing with throttle at idle and only one mag. That should be pretty much manageable to get me to the hanger. If it were still too fast, I'd shut down and pull it home. Not that big of a deal.

Pretty much any failure other than a blown seal on the master cylinder piston should show itself with a nice puddle of hydraulic fluid.

Pull the chute... I like that. How about land on taxiway and pull the chute...

All great comments..not so sure about pulling the chute though, sounds a little expensive...

A short field approach would be the best using the maximum flap deflection for the given conditions. Consider the crosswinds and your comfort level. If your home airport is a short strip you may consider a diversion to a more favorable runway. If there are multiple runways at your airport, pick the one with the most favorable headwinds and uphill runway if you have it. Make your approach such that you can touchdown very close to the beginning of the runway. If you don't get it exactly right, do a go around and try again. There is no reason to force a landing in this situation. With 30 flaps your approach speed over the numbers can be as low as 50KIAS, once your on the ground keep the flaps down and smoothly add full up stabilator to increase the aerodynamic braking effect. I would consider turning off the engine since idle throttle may not be zero thrust. Better to walk your plane back to the hanger then risk running into something or someone in an attempt to save the embarassment of the "walk of shame".

Several places could leak on the brakes such as a broken line, a bad master cylinder, a busted bleed fitting, or leaking puck o-ring.

A good preflight and preventive maintenance should keep your brakes healthy.

In my prelandng GUMPS check, U for "underbody" used to mean "put the gear down and check that it is down and locked," but that was back in the retract days. Now, underbody means "check that the brakes are working." With the italian brakes on hot days, it often meant to pump them up, but now I am on Matcos.

I have had brakes go out in other planes. Landing into the wind you can actually use the doors on a Cessna as a wind brake. I am not sure if that would do much the way our doors open.

WF

Archived