Foreflight W&B Template?

Her biggest complaint is in rough air she says she bounces around readily so we top her off before flights and she thinks that helps.  She hops off the runway (about 300 feet at 5500msl) and is able to land in the 'normal' config with 15 flaps and 62kts over the numbers even in slight cross wind.  We remembered seeing the min ballast and her first time up solo so we weighted the passenger seat with some dead weights but after over 100 hours flying in all conditions without the ballast it just a non issue.

The FD goes to her new home Monday (Bishop CA).

She is right, the weight helps stabilize.  I tend to fly at the forward cg limit a lot too and like you after hundreds of hours I don't see an issue.  Usually its elevator authority when too far forward and pitch sensitivity when too far aft.

There is already a CTLS parked in Bishop but haven't seen the owner yet.  This will make 3 CTs with 27 miles, I like that.  I'll give you my contact info if you will pass it along to the new owner.

She is right, the weight helps stabilize.  I tend to fly at the forward cg limit a lot too and like you after hundreds of hours I don't see an issue.  Usually its elevator authority when too far forward and pitch sensitivity when too far aft.

There is already a CTLS parked in Bishop but haven't seen the owner yet.  This will make 3 CTs with 27 miles, I like that.  I'll give you my contact info if you will pass it along to the new owner.

Yea, I figured you'd like it...it's why I gave the location.  You may want to buzz over there when he fly's it back and take it up (he gets 4 hours of CFI lessons included in the price)....the guy is a former Cessna 182 owner.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Poll (completely hypothetical) Choose your lessor of two evils:

1. You and your buddy are flying somewhere, and full fuel lets you get there and back without refueling, but puts you at 1400 lbs  

2. You load fuel to be within 1320 lbs but now you have to refuel with 100ll because mogas not available. 

Which is the lessor of two evils?

Ben,

With respect to your first question involving violation of an FAR, only a fool would select that option on a public forum such as this. Everything we say here, and on other social media, can and will be used against us in a FAA administrative hearing or civil tort case. Such comments form a permanent record as to our state of mind. And the opaque “handles” that some use will not hid their identities from a determined attorney.

Furthermore, as Rotax and many knowledgeable members of this forum have often pointed out, the occasional use of 100LL will not significantly impact engine maintenance, service life or reliability.

That said… if your sporting, environmentally conscientious, or cheap (like me); there is another option: pick “convenient” airports to get fuel. Some convenient airports have 91 octane unleaded gas in self-service pumps. Others have gas stations right across the street. Still others have courtesy cars you can use to drive to a gas station.

On several occasions I have taxied from an airstrip to a gas station to get fuel, pulling my plane up between the cars… but I don’t really recommend this for several reasons (see paragraph 1 above). However, I always carry a couple empty gas jugs in the back anyway, and I go out of my way to find and use convenient airports. I have traipsed across the country many times using this technique and have seldom needed to resort to expensive, leaded fuel.

Mike Koerner

Mike,

thanks for the response.  It was evidentially a dumb poll question, chalk it up to me being a student pilot and still learning the ropes and FARs.  

Ok so you’re saying you carry empty fuel cans in the baggage compartment?  I had thought about that and wondered if it was ok.

What about my question of carrying full fuel cans back there then, assuming they were very secure?  Like a 5gal steel military spec NATO Jerry can. Another dumb question?  

All I keep hearing about is how bad 100ll is and as a new CTLS owner trying to figure out ways to practically avoid it. 

Tom,

I'm sorry. I missed the fact that it poster has an LS. I know the cargo door is a different shape. I didn't realize it was smaller. The underside of the hat rack may limit baggage access as well. I don't know.

The two empty gas jugs I carry with me all the time (except on local flights) in the CT2k are standard rigid plastic jugs, made for gasoline, with integral funnels. They are rated for 5 and 6 gallons, but I find they can easily carry 5.5 and 6.5 gallons respectively. That gives me 12 gallons per trip to the pump. I seldom need to make 3 trips and can often get by with one.

I put them in the tail behind the cargo rear divider, which in the CT2k is just velcroed on. I put the big one in first. It's too big to slide further back or out of reach. The velcro keeps them from sliding forward. The tail holds them fairly snuggly both laterally and vertically. They do not interfere with the controls or significantly impact my weight and balance (again, with the jugs empty) and putting them in the way back leaves room for my other luggage.

I leave the caps screwed on loosely so they are jugs are vented in flight, preventing pressure differentials at altitude. This is necessary and would make for quite a mess if you tried to tanker fuel with them.

Your flexible jug might be a viable option for aircraft that can't fit rigid tanks into the cargo section. It also mitigates the pressure differential issue as long as you close the cap with as little air inside the jug as possible.

Mike Koerner

On 7/2/2018 at 8:41 AM, Tom Baker said:

You will have a hard time finding a 5 gallon fuel can that will fit in the CTLS baggage, unless it is collapsible. I don't think I would want to carry the fuel with me, but this would work for trips to the gas station. 

https://www.airframesalaska.com/Liquid-Containment-Bag-p/5.2bag.htm

I tried out the Tuff Jugs and they fit nicely in the cargo bay.  I would only carry them empty back there  

5 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

All of these spreadsheets ignore oil. Is full oil included in empty weight or is the oil weight considered trivial enough to ignore? 

Got an answer for this and FYI for anybody concerned, oil is part of the empty weight. 

Archived