Newbee with landing flap questions.

Buckaroo

The POH calculations may assume you leave the flaps in position throughout the roll-out, like you would in a retractable-gear aircraft. In our case, though 30 degree flaps increase aerodynamic drag, they also decrease braking effectiveness due to reduced weight on the wheels.

In our light-weight aircraft the flaps should come all the way up to negative as soon as the wheels touch down (I wish I had a manual flap handle so I could accomplish this quicker). We need the flaps up for braking; but more importantly to reduce our susceptibility to gusts. All ground maneuvering (and when the plane is tied outside) should be in the negative flap position. I leave mine up while taxing out and during run-up and only position them for take-off as I turn onto the runway.

Mike Koerner

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea that a CT needs 2000ft+ landing distance seems laughable.  I have landed my CTSW on a 1350ft grass strip and been stopped by about 2/3 of the distance using 30° flaps.  I guess they are assuming book speeds, which seem a bit faster than what is really needed, and a very baseline skill set.  Or maybe a CTLS is just a lot different?

Here is the shaky video of a landing at that 1350ft shot by a friend on his phone.  The rollout was not captured, he dropped the phone just after I touched down.   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmlMeZyZm5M

Archived