Heavier ply tyres

Duski Don

Hi Don,

Glad to see you on the forum. The answer to your question has been discussed here. Click on the link below to see all the comments. Unfortunately there can be an issue, but some have had no problems. You must keep the pressure up in these 8 plys to at least 50 psi to keep them round and not slip on the wheel and tear a stem out. Fd has only done drop test to 35 psi and won't authorize any higher pressures. The tires are good tires, but need higher pressures than what we usually use. If you have Matco wheels then the pressure isn't as critical.

http://ctflier.com/i...lacement-tires/

If you have any questions please fire away and we will try to help anyway we can.

p.s.

When you reply to a post please use the "add reply" tab at the bottom or top of the page. If you use the one on the bottom of the post itself it will always completely quote the last post and pretty soon we will have to scroll through a ton of pages to read additional post.

I'm not Roger, but this from Aviation Consumer is worth a read:

http://www.desser.com/epdf/ACJuneFinal04-dtr.pdf

I went with the Monster retreads on my Sky Arrow recently, for durability, not cost.

For certified aircraft, I'm not sure you can simply substitute a tire with more ply. On my experimental I could of course, but this is one of those cases where maybe, just maybe, the manufacturer had a reason for the specification they chose.

Hi Don,

I think a big portion of the guys here in the US using tires from Desser are using their Aero Classics (Monster Treads where applicable). I use the Monster Tread 6.00-6. I have used these tires on two planes and have never had an ounce of trouble and they wear like iron. Many aircraft tires are retreads and the military uses 80% retreads and so do airlines. Eddie's post on the tire test is a good ready since that is the only real test most of us can find that isn't just speculation from another pilot or A&P.

Archived