Bowlus taping the landing gear fuselage area?

Buckaroo

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went out and cleaned the tape off of the upper and lowers by the wheel fairings. Grabed some lighter fluid and detailed the areas. It appears the right oval molding that accepts the gear cover has been broken on the rear edge. It looks like the aerodynamic gear cover slammed rearward and broke the fuselage oval trim about the size of a half dollar. The gear cover can be pushed forward and rearward about a inch. Is it practical and affordable to repair the part I speak of? The gear looks a lot cleaner and intake without all that poor fitting tape and black gunk.

I still need to check the wings for level.

I went out and cleaned the tape off of the upper and lowers by the wheel fairings. Grabed some lighter fluid and detailed the areas. It appears the right oval molding that accepts the gear cover has been broken on the rear edge. It looks like the aerodynamic gear cover slammed rearward and broke the fuselage oval trim about the size of a half dollar. The gear cover can be pushed forward and rearward about a inch. Is it practical and affordable to repair the part I speak of? The gear looks a lot cleaner and intake without all that poor fitting tape and black gunk.

I still need to check the wings for level.

Don't use lighter fluid or other flammable petroleum products on your shell.  Use isopropyl alcohol or goof off or something like it.

First thing I would do checking wing level is establish a reference with a spirit level across the door openings . Your problem is difficult to measure because as mentioned before , different tire pressure will make a big difference at the wing tip as will floor levels . If you really want to find out use a laser level but the problem is most likely not a airplane fault but a measure fault . Also I use elcheapo furniture polish fur cleaning .

The wing level thing has decreased in importantance in my mind as really who cares! The aircraft is beautiful and the gear looks great. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the hanger and put a nice coat of Meguiars Gold Plus Carnauba Wax on her.

Hopefully next week we'll warm up to the 20's and I'll get my biannual and aircraft check out so I can get out on my own and really learn the machine!

Keep in mind, I see a distinct difference between "rebuild" and "overhaul" as they are defined in the regs for us mechanics.

But to answer your question: I didn't have to, but I chose to replace the engine anyways. Hung a new engine and keep the old one around for spare parts.

The condition of the old engine is absolutely immaculate. It's almost a waste to have done that.

Keep in mind she's used for flight training, so it wouldn't be entirely a fair assessment of what you might see at 3k hours. The structure is holding together fine, but there's a lot of wear and tear in the cowling from vibration, some odd paint cracking and peeling in a couple places (easy to fix), and obvious wear in the cabin area that customers touch.

The paint has yellowed a bit. It's very faint but it's there if you look closely. The bottom is still very white. I suspect it's UV.

It's an absolute must to inspect the insides of the fuel tanks at the 2 year interval! THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL. I found some peeling occuring and had it repaired before it became a problem, but it most definitely would have become one if it wasn't addressed. Gasoline and composites do not mix, and eventually it WILL have damaged the wing if it were ignored. Yes, I've seen photos and videos of a CT where the gasoline managed to work its way through and absolutely tear the bottom side of the wing up.

Cables are very difficult to inspect due to extensive use of fairleads and sheathes. One day this WILL be a problem, and it's going to suck to fix as they are laid into the composite, but for now it still seems fine. Not even really showing any signs of wear yet. Here's to hoping it lasts longer than I do.

The complex mechanism in the back for the anti-servo tab does need to be watched, as there are plastic inserts in several places that wear over time.

If there is one piece of advice that I would have, it is this: is if something feels lose, or there's slop in the controls, get it fucking fixed as of yesterday. I caught a loosened bolt on someone else's, that if it worked its way out, pitch control would be lost. Trim would still work. There are a LOT of bushing used in these airplanes, and it was originally though to be worn bushings (cheap owner wouldn't replace them), until it got bad enough and I happened to be there to say "Wait a minute, that's much worse than before! That will NOT fly." Eventually the bushings were replaced as well. It's still something that rattles me a bit when I think about it, and I wasn't the one flying.

Taping the leg fairings is, as roger said, asthetic.

However, I do recommend that a sacrificial layer of tape be applied underneath the fairing if you see the paint rubbing off.

Corey, he has a CTSW. It is completely different from the CTLS in this regard.

Bukaroo, when receiving information on this site people tend describe their experiences with the airplane they own and are familiar with. Sometimes the information applies to all models across the board, other times they are 2 different beast. The landing gear is one place where they are 2 different beast. With one little exception possibly being the wheels and brakes, however axles will be different.

Wonderful wisdom here and lots of time given. I know others will gain insight as well!

Now how does anticept's post for the LS differ for the SW?

The mains are bolted to the airframe on each side with part of the airframe over the top of each main leg.  IMHO this is a weakness in the design.  The airframe can be damaged over time and in a hard landing, esp if landing on one main versus the other in a xwind.    The best advise to to remove the boots and inspect the mains where they are attached...and be aware the plane is not built like a combat jet.

post-940-0-06304200-1482793284_thumb.jpg

The prior owner on mine dropped it in and the right gear had to be replaced. I can see the slight damage on the rear edge of the fuselage oval gear fairing. I think that's why my right wing is 3 inch's lower than the left although I haven't ruled out tire pressure yet. Log book repair entries look good on the repair and it was done at a approved FD repair station so I'm good with it.

The mains are bolted to the airframe on each side with part of the airframe over the top of each main leg.  IMHO this is a weakness in the design.  The airframe can be damaged over time and in a hard landing, esp if landing on one main versus the other in a xwind.    The best advise to to remove the boots and inspect the mains where they are attached...and be aware the plane is not built like a combat jet.

This advice and picture are not pertinent to the CTSW.

Archived