Bowlus taping the landing gear fuselage area?

Buckaroo

I hate reposting this, because I'm not proud of it, but this might help you. This video is a landing I made when I was still learning the airplane (and had less than 100hrs total time) at 30° flaps. I touched down too fast (58kt over the numbers with 30° flaps is way too much) and with pressure on the right pedal. Once the nosewheel gets some grip the airplane goes right, and I overcorrected with left pedal.

You can't see it in the video, but the weight shift on the gear was pretty scary, it felt like the left main wheel was about to leave the ground. So now I'm headed off the runway, right for a sign. I'm afraid to use right rudder because the airplane is still unsettled and I'm afraid of the weight shifting back the other way and the airplane scraping a wingtip or flipping. So I have to make a very fast decision -- I'm going to hit the sign, but I can either just take the impact or go full throttle and potentially miss the sign... if I don't get off the ground fast enough, the impact will be even worse.

I went full power. In the video you can see my speed is down to about 30-32kt. As soon as I have the power in the airplane shoots up to about 42kt and pops into the air, right over the sign and I make a successful go around. These airplanes fly and climb very well with full flaps, and the power to weight helps a lot with that. That said, if I had had a passenger I probably would have been apologizing to them upside down on the other side of the sign.

That was A nice smooth landing! Looks like you punched the right rudder hard when you started rolling left and the skid and squeal alarmed you and you gave up the the right rudder. I didn't notice any appreciable cross wind from the right I think smooth right rudder would of taken you down the center line.

Thanks for sharing and throwing red meat into the pack!????

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was A nice smooth landing! Looks like you punched the right rudder hard when you started rolling left and the skid and squeal alarmed you and you gave up the the right rudder. I didn't notice any appreciable cross wind from the right I think smooth right rudder would of taken you down the center line.

Thanks for sharing and throwing red meat into the pack!

Yeah, there was no real wind, that was all user error.  As I mentioned, I gave up on right rudder because the airplane was weight shifting.  If you have ever done performance driving, you know that when you get into a skid in a curve and counter-steer to correct it, the back end always comes back the other way more violently than the initial skid, because of inertia and weight shift on the suspension.  The same thing was in play,  The initial move to the right was gentle, the snap back left was very severe to the point the right main might have actually left the ground a hair.  Another cycle out to the right would have caused an even more severe weight shift and probably have put the plane on its right wingtip.  

You can't see any of that in the video, you had to be there...  :) 

I guess a stall horn is out! No problem who needs a stinking stall warning horn!!

I'll bet a clean accelerated stall is hard to get a buffet? I used to fly a Grumman Tiger and that thing would accelerate and stall right now.

The CT will stall but ya gotta wait for it longer than you think.  It will 'hang' in the air then nose over in a very polite way.  I did several power, slow, and turning stalls in the plane during my PPL checkride and the DPE kept asking for another because he didn't believe how docile the plane was....

I guess a stall horn is out! No problem who needs a stinking stall warning horn!!

I'll bet a clean accelerated stall is hard to get a buffet? I used to fly a Grumman Tiger and that thing would accelerate and stall right now.

If you come up on the stall gently, the CT will just mush and bob with about a 800fpm descent rate, and never really break.  If you really manhandle it into the stall it will break and nose over, but you have to really work hard to get a wing to drop.  In a turn if you are coordinated the nose just gently drops straight down.  Don't know what happens if you stall in a turn uncoordinated, I'm not that brave.  Probably nothing good.

It's really easy, by your third solo flight you will never miss not having a stall warning.

If you come up on the stall gently, the CT will just mush and bob with about a 800fpm descent rate, and never really break. If you really manhandle it into the stall it will break and nose over, but you have to really work hard to get a wing to drop. In a turn if you are coordinated the nose just gently drops straight down. Don't know what happens if you stall in a turn uncoordinated, I'm not that brave. Probably nothing good.

It's really easy, by your third solo flight you will never miss not having a stall warning.

They say if you get into a flat spin give it full power. Roger said don't even allow the word spin to enter your mind around this aircraft!????

They say if you get into a flat spin give it full power. Roger said don't even allow the word spin to enter your mind around this aircraft!

Yes.  It would take a lot to put the plane into a spin..  (sorta like a Cessna 172). 

Once you get a chance to get up into the air and play you will quickly nail down the details.  It is a really safe plane to fly and there are few crash reports for it....and you do have the parachute.  But the POH does not give you much guidance on the BRS...so we all guess what the altitudes are for a good pull.

I read in the BRS manual the chute likes airspeed. I imagine 300 feet with airspeed and upward trajectory would fill the canopy. I've never had a parachute on any aircraft but I like this feature a lot as it's another warm and fuzzy thing.????

I probably won't like paying for the repack tho!

There are multiple ways to successfully land a CT, no question.  I do know that my landings dramatically improved when I lowered my landing speeds; it make the floating and ballooning issues go away for me.  In calm winds and 30° flaps I sometimes have over the numbers speed as low as ~48kt.  60kt is fine as you turn final, but IMO it's too fast over the numbers, which is where I was saying 50-55kt is a good speed.  I like 57kt on base and 52kt on short final as ideal numbers at 15° flaps.  That's clearly not the only way of doing things.  I also fly very tight patterns and so if I'm at 60kt on final I probably will have trouble scrubbing that speed off and getting down without a big slip.

At some point you will have to be a lot slower than 60kt for touchdown, whether you do it as you turn final or five feet over the ground.  

Andy, like I said before I'm not saying how you are doing it is wrong. The point I was trying to get across was that there variances between airplane and indicated airspeed. While your airplane is fine with those speeds his airspeed indicator might be off enough to cause problems, especially at the lower speeds. Having flown several CT's I have seen some that would feel down right scary with your numbers and others that feel just fine. He will need to fly his airplane to see what numbers work for it.

D-100 or Skyview?  On a D-100 the only way to do it is to have the the AoA indicator enabled with a new AoA pitot tube (requires an MRA from Flight Design, $1500+), and even then it will be visual only because the D-100 doesn't have an audio output.

Honestly, you don't really need a stall warning in the CT.  It bothered be at first that I didn't have one, but the airplane has such docile stall characteristics that it lets you know well before the stall, and recovery from a stall is very quick.  I've never accidentally stalled mine, you'd kind of have to be asleep at the switch or doing something very ill-advised like 4g turns.

If it was a factory Dynon plane, then he should already have the pitot tube that supports AoA. The CTLS's came from the factory with the AoA alarm fed into the intercom, but I don't think any of the CTSW's did. However it can be wired into the intercom, but you will have to study the Dynon and PS engineering wiring diagrams to see how to do it. You will also need to do a calibration flight if that has not been done already. Oh, one more thing is you need up to date firmware in the Dynon.

I found stalls for the most part to be a non event. The only time I did have an issue was with 40° flaps and gusty rough air. The airplane got a little un-coordinated right when it stalled and it rotated and the nose dropped hard. It was quite surprising compared to how all the other stalls had been. 

If it was a factory Dynon plane, then he should already have the pitot tube that supports AoA. The CTLS's came from the factory with the AoA alarm fed into the intercom, but I don't think any of the CTSW's did. However it can be wired into the intercom, but you will have to study the Dynon and PS engineering wiring diagrams to see how to do it. You will also need to do a calibration flight if that has not been done already. Oh, one more thing is you need up to date firmware in the Dynon.

Mines the Dynon 100. The pitot is a tube 6 to 8 inches long. My Dynon has the AOA indicator.

Andy, like I said before I'm not saying how you are doing it is wrong. The point I was trying to get across was that there variances between airplane and indicated airspeed. While your airplane is fine with those speeds his airspeed indicator might be off enough to cause problems, especially at the lower speeds. Having flown several CT's I have seen some that would feel down right scary with your numbers and others that feel just fine. He will need to fly his airplane to see what numbers work for it.

I get it, I was not trying to be argumentative, just clarifying what I meant.

I asked FDUSA about doing it in my 2007 CTSW, and they said Germany wanted a $900 "engineering study" before they would okay it, in addition to the parts and install cost. Not worth it to me.

I read in the BRS manual the chute likes airspeed. I imagine 300 feet with airspeed and upward trajectory would fill the canopy. I've never had a parachute on any aircraft but I like this feature a lot as it's another warm and fuzzy thing.

I probably won't like paying for the repack tho!

It's a rocket launched chute which deploys it's own canopy.  You reall don't want much forward speed or be diving when deploying it.  No one can say what the min altitude is since the factory did not provide it.  For Cirrus there are very specific set of numbers for all phases of deployment.  It would be good if those numbers and some kind of training material were provided for the CT but just getting new planes and parts seems to be the best bet for now.

I person on here gave me my first tip. Tell your CFI to not ask you to perform full power on take of stalls. My seller said with that attitude with full power if the ball is off gitty up!!

Nothing wrong with a full power stall. You can keep the ball centered, just takes a heavy foot. Slow the plane down to lift off speed then come up to full power while bringing the nose up. Don't let the airspeed increase. Yes, the nose will get high but it's not the event some make it out to be.

I person on here gave me my first tip. Tell your CFI to not ask you to perform full power on take of stalls. My seller said with that attitude with full power if the ball is off gitty up!!

The stall characteristics of the CT are extremely docile and benign both power on and power off.  Higher flap settings or accelerated stalls are about the only time you get a significant wing drop/break as you would see in a typical Cessna or Piper. 

Archived