Pics of my engine for review!

Buckaroo

Basically, from a regulatory standpoint, a discrepancy list is just that; issues that the inspector has found. That would be a pain in the ass to write discrepancies in a logbook, and then later someone writes about work performed to resolve those discrepancies; it's just not needed and people shouldn't be concerning themselves about what those discrepancies were because they were FIXED.

There's nothing that says you can't put that stuff in the logs anyways. But it makes any prebuys down the road take more time. Roger's logs aren't something that bothers me as they are still pretty focused on what needs to be said, I'm just saying that they could be even shorter by removing the stuff that doesn't need to be in there and could be perfectly fine providing them in a separate discrepancy sheet  :P

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lost my Rotax engine that was 6 years old with 833 hours it was approved for replacement within 48 hours. The reason they gave was the  detailed logbook entries that they said they never see.

May i ask what happened with this engine ? which i am assuming was very well maintained. 

It lost the hardness coating on the #1 exhaust lifter face. Then the cam lob gets ground down along with the lifter and cyl. #1 becomes inop. The lifter and metals get ground into dust and it spreads through the entire engine. The engine at this point is toast and can't be repaired. Happens to maybe 2-3 worldwide a year. Just bad metallurgy. 

Archived