Compliance Log?

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

Many of you know that I recently converted my CTSW to E-LSA.  As part of the process, I had to verify to the DAR that all Flight Design factory safety alerts have been complied with (not service bulletins, which are recommended but not mandatory).  There are only six safety alerts for the CTSW, and it was not a big deal to document.

When I presented the paperwork to the DAR, he suggested that to make verification of compliance easier in the future, that in addition to the airframe and engine logbooks, I create a "compliance log" that documents when and how service bulletins, service alerts, and similar items have been addressed.  He also seems to think that having such a log would make it easier to sell an airplane in the future, since you'd have all documentation of compliance with factory guidance in one place, easy to see.

Has anybody done this?  I'm considering it, but not sure if it's overkill since it's fairly easy to print the service alerts / service bulletins and see in the airframe & engine logs where they have been done.

I suggested a long time ago that people list any type of bulletin or alert in the back of their logbook. List the date, Bulletin #,  the brief description in just a couple of words and then if you compiled or didn't due to serial number. Then it's easy to look up whether it's the mechanic, the next mechanic, the owner, the next owner, a DAR, ect.... Some will say this isn't required (agreed) and it's fluff. Gotta love that word, but what it is is just plain good documentation a cut above the pack.

I have created a binder that is essentially my compliance log.  Inside are copies of all of the SN, SA, and SB's with an index for each section showing when they were complied with.  I also keep my log books in this same binder.  Very handy for annuals and verifying compliance (easy to see what has been newly added since last time).

I have created a binder that is essentially my compliance log.  Inside are copies of all of the SN, SA, and SB's with an index for each section showing when they were complied with.  I also keep my log books in this same binder.  Very handy for annuals and verifying compliance (easy to see what has been newly added since last time).

That's how I have done it in the past.  I have a binder that contains my logbooks, and printed copies of the service bulletins/alerts as well as the completed FD checklist for every annual.

Hey all...

Many of you know that I recently converted my CTSW to E-LSA.  As part of the process, I had to verify to the DAR that all Flight Design factory safety alerts have been complied with (not service bulletins, which are recommended but not mandatory).  There are only six safety alerts for the CTSW, and it was not a big deal to document.

When I presented the paperwork to the DAR, he suggested that to make verification of compliance easier in the future, that in addition to the airframe and engine logbooks, I create a "compliance log" that documents when and how service bulletins, service alerts, and similar items have been addressed.  He also seems to think that having such a log would make it easier to sell an airplane in the future, since you'd have all documentation of compliance with factory guidance in one place, easy to see.

Has anybody done this?  I'm considering it, but not sure if it's overkill since it's fairly easy to print the service alerts / service bulletins and see in the airframe & engine logs where they have been done.

Keeping a compliance log is not only a good idea, it is required by regulation. Most aircraft logbooks have a separate area to keep a running log for compliance with safety directive or airworthiness directives.

CFR 91.417 (v) The current status of applicable airworthiness directives (AD) and safety directives including, for each, the method of compliance, the AD or safety directive number and revision date. If the AD or safety directive involves recurring action, the time and date when the next action is required.

Um, I'm a novice at this, but as an owner of a now 'experimental' aircraft, are you even required to comply with Flight Design SB's, etc? My fledgling understanding is that an experimental aircraft can have its configuration wander from the original with just the owner logging and flight testing any changes. The plane essentially is no longer associated with the Flight Design company. Is it different between EAB's and E-LSA's?

It's required to keep track of safety directives, but not in a separate log book, which is what I was really asking about.  I wasn't asking if they should be tracked/logged, just the format folks are using.

Andy, in your first post you said, " There are only six safety alerts for the CTSW, and it was not a big deal to document.". My point was they already should have been documented.

Andy, in your first post you said, " There are only six safety alerts for the CTSW, and it was not a big deal to document.". My point was they already should have been documented.

They were buried in the log entries, I printed each one and visually verified the applicable ones so I could show the DAR.

Um, I'm a novice at this, but as an owner of a now 'experimental' aircraft, are you even required to comply with Flight Design SB's, etc? My fledgling understanding is that an experimental aircraft can have its configuration wander from the original with just the owner logging and flight testing any changes. The plane essentially is no longer associated with the Flight Design company. Is it different between EAB's and E-LSA's?

I believe you are correct, but just because compliance might not be required doesn't mean doing so isn't smart. I would never ignore safety alerts, but SBs I'd comply with if they make sense to me.

Archived