CTSW - high altitude performance

Ed Cesnalis

I have cruised at either 12,500' or 13,500' for the last 75 flights. (High Sierra photography mission http://www.edcesnalis.com/  https://www.instagram.com/edcesnalis/ )

Performance at these altitudes has been surprisingly good.  My true airspeed in the winter is often 125kts and my climb rate never becomes an issue even above 14,000'.

Climb rate at high altitude in high terrain is very hard to get a stable reading on. The mountain wave and more local up and down drafts over power your ability to climb and sometimes even your ability to descend goes away.

I have worked in winds up to 50kts from the north. North wind in the Sierra is generally smooth but at 50kts there is so much drift that photographing gets hard. Prevailing SW winds, become too turbulent above 20kts @ 12,500.  

Upsets happen, often the rotor zone or the lee side is the side I need to shoot so I'm getting more schooled in turbulence. When I get upset I find if I 'go with it' the direction tends to be away from the terrain and into the lower terrain that is my 'option'. If I counter the upset and try and prevent it I only remain in the zone. 

I recently hit the largest bump I ever experienced and it did not result in an upset but I did loose my headset and the controls and my orientation.  All the signs were there including clouds clearly showing the wind shear.  My wind indicator suddenly changed from 10kts to 50kts but was perfectly smooth until I hit that river of air I couldn' see.  My CTSW will hold up to a lot more turbulence than I am willing to tolerate, she has been well tested, 45 minutes straight once.

Conclusion: CTs can be great platforms for crossing the Sierra and no doubt the Rockies but they are light and something like mountain gliding experience is needed to remain safe.  We have the climb and speed needed but our wings are so lightly loaded that we are very much at the mercy of conditions too.

Thanks for the report. 

FWIW, whenever I encounter turbulence, I am reminded of how pleased I am with the aftermarket 5-point harness (described on CT-Flier previously) I installed in my E-LSA CTsw. Might help maintaining orientation and your contact with the controls in unexpected turbulence.

Great info, Ed!  The photos are spectacular.  I flew between Phoenix and near Seattle, almost entirely at 11,500 and 12,500.  Around SLC they asked me to go to 13.5.  I found I had to go back to 0 flaps to get any significant climb.  But then, we were at gross, with 2 peeps and gear for a weeklong trip.  Luckily on that trip, my altitude put me well above most ranges.  

What is the farthest distance from a range/peak have you experienced upsets?

Adding flaps slows you down and permits a steeper climb angle but doesn't aid climb rate. Air around SLC generally has an undulation plus drift so when heavy trying to make 13.5 I wouldn't rely on my VSI reading at the moment alone.  Then again this is all theory.

Good question on the upsets they do tend to happen in the lee of peaks at a lower altitude than the summit and within a mile downwind of the summit.  If you are in the lee of the front range its pretty simple but if you are in an interior canyon the big picture gets more complicated.

Wow -- stunning work!

I've dabbled in photography as a hobby, so I plan to look through your albums with the time and care they deserve.  At the risk of spinning this into a camera geek discussion, what equipment do you use?

Wow -- stunning work!

I've dabbled in photography as a hobby, so I plan to look through your albums with the time and care they deserve.  At the risk of spinning this into a camera geek discussion, what equipment do you use?

My gear is targeted at high image quality in a small package. I use the Sony mirrorless (small) body with the 42 mega pixel back lit sensor and Batis prime lenses. The lenses are much smaller and a little slower than the GMaster lenses but the size and stabilization are right for hand holding in the CT.

Andy, I have Crow harnesses.  The Vans builders use them.  Hooker will also make you good harnesses.  Crow was very helpful on the phone, and also happily exchanged an item that didn't work.  

Another forum member forwarded you the info I sent to him.  Let me know if you don't receive it.

Andy, I have Crow harnesses.  The Vans builders use them.  Hooker will also make you good harnesses.  Crow was very helpful on the phone, and also happily exchanged an item that didn't work.  

Another forum member forwarded you the info I sent to him.  Let me know if you don't receive it.

I got it, thanks.  Those are beautiful, but they seem a bit "overkill" for a non-aerobatic airplane; I'm not even sure I could figure out the center attach mechanism!  I'm thinking the four-point Hooker might work for me.

Andy, you are probably correct about overkill.  But, the anti-sub belt lets the occupant tighten the shoulder harness without pulling the lap belt up from the pelvis and onto the gut.  I do like feeling so connected the the airplane.

If you get to Iowa, I'd be happy to demo them for you!

Archived