Have you completed all your SB's

Roger Lee

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note on Service Bulletins.

Has your plane had all the Service Bulletins completed? Are they logged in the logbook? If you bought a used aircraft how do you know they were completed or at least logged?

It is up to the owner to make sure these are completed by there due date. You should be the one watching the FD website at least once a moth for anything new out. We try to list anything new here on our forum, too. It is the mechanics job to help assist in checking these and getting them done in a timely manner. Your mechanic should have a complete list in a book at his shop for these SB's. The CT's have SB's from BRS, Rotax and FD. If you have a mandatory SB due date and a mechanic does your regular inspection and neither of you do anything to complete this bulletin whether on purpose or not your plane is out of airworthy if that is that type of bulletin with a due date on it.

What should you do to help yourself and prevent any issues with the FAA, the insurance company, the mechanic or just have an extended down time or getting grounded when a mechanic won't sign you off and it will take weeks to get a part that you could have already had in your possession and ready to go when you went in for the inspection.

Here is the best way to save yourself and your mechanic any grief or just any hard feels between the owner and mechanic.

Take your logbook home and do a few minutes of research on the FD website where the SB's are all listed. In the back of many logbooks there is a section to list SB's. If you don't have a section like that then just pick a page in the back. Write down all the SB's and the date they came out. Then next to them either write in the date it was completed or that it is not applicable (N/A). This will keep you on track, absolutely help the mechanic and help you sell your plane if and when that day comes.

It's just being proactive, keeping ahead of any issues foreseen or not. Doing this little logbook exercise will make everyones life easier and only takes about 20 minutes.

One last comment;

Always make sure your mechanic does a good job of documenting any SB he complied with, which includes sending any paperwork to FD to show completion. The mechanic may be a nice guy and send the paperwork in, but it is up to the owner to get it done one way or the other.

Here is a list that all CTSW's should have complied.

CTSW Type Aircraft SERVICE NOTIFICATION (Information only)

SN-ASTM-CTSW-01 Rohacell® Foam Core

SN-ASTM-CTSW-02 Engine Coolant

SN-ASTM-CTSW-03 Upper Rudder Hinge

SN-ASTM-CTSW-04 Maintenance Inspection Intervals

SN-ASTM-CTSW-05 Information on Usage of Ethanol Blended Fuel

CTSW Type Aircraft SERVICE BULLETIN (Mandatory Bulletins)

SB-ASTM-CTSW-01 Radiator Isolator Mounts

SB-ASTM-CTSW-02 Landing Gear Inspection

SB-ASTM-CTSW-03 Servo Tab Hinge Enhancement SB-ASTM-CTSW-04 Not actual - superseded by SB-ASTM-CTSW-06 rev.01

SB-ASTM-CTSW-05 Inspection of Neuform 3-Bladed Var. Pitch Propeller Installation

SB-ASTM-CTSW-06 rev.01 Fuel Filter Exchange

SB-ASTM-CTSW-07 Stabilizer Rear Wall Stiffening

SB-ASTM-CTSW-08 Garmin SL30 / SL40 Comm Radio Spurious Emissions Correction

SB-ASTM-CTSW-09 Correction of Gross Weight Metric Conversion to Pounds

CTSW Type Aircraft SAFETY ALERT (Mandatory)

SA-ASTM-CTSW-01 Engine Mount Bolts

SA-ASTM-CTSW-02 Servo Tab Spring

SA-ASTM-CTSW-03 Trim Tab Reinforcement

==========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

==================================================================================================

CTLS bulletins:

CTLS Type Aircraft SERVICE BULLETIN (Mandatory)

SB-ASTM-CTLS-01 rev.01 Fuel Filter Exchange

SB-ASTM-CTLS-02 Rudder Centering Fork - Control Stop Replacement

SB-ASTM-CTLS-03 Rudder Centering Fork - Control Stop Replacement

SB-ASTM-CTLS-04 Reserved

SB-ASTM-CTLS-05 Garmin SL30 / SL40 Comm Radio Spurious Emissions Correction (not mandatory)

=============================================================================================

===========================================================================================

Other Mandatory bulletins from Rotax, BRS and TruTrak:

Be the First to Know. Everything the Rotax Owner/Operator needs to know can be found at the Rotax Owner Assistance Network Network (ROAN) website, Rotax-Owner.com.

TitleTypeModelDownloadDateReplacement of fuel pump

Service Bulletin

SB-912-053ULROTAX ENGINE

Replacement Procedure Inspect for tight fit of oil filterService Bulletin

SB-912-055 UL

SB-914-036 ULROTAX ENGINE Replacement of the propeller gear box Service Bulletin

SB-912-056 UL

SB-914-038 UL

Checking or replacement of flexible fuel lineService Bulletin

SB-912-054 UL ROTAX ENGINE

BRS Service Bulletins

TitleTypeModelDownloadDateBRS-600 Pick-up Collar Support ReplacementService Bulletin

SB 07-03All BRS systems that use a BRS-600Download Activation Handle Inspection & ReworkService Bulletin

SB 07-05All Flight Design CT aircraftDownload

Download Instructions

Other Service Bulletins

TitleTypeModelDownloadDateGarmin RadioService Bulletin

CTLS/CTsw/MCTruTrak ServoService Bulletin#060810

Always make sure your mechanic does a good job of documenting any SB he complied with, which includes sending any paperwork to FD to show completion. The mechanic may be a nice guy and send the paperwork in, but it is up to the owner to get it done one way or the other.

Is it required that the owner notify FD of compliance with each SB - in addition to having it properly documented in the logbook?

Bill

I hope everyone that needed the "rear wall stabilator stiffening" performed is done. They were all due by the end of Nov. If you haven't done it then your grounded until it gets done.

p.s.

It isn't just the CT's that fall within these serial numbers, so read the following sentence about having raised stiffeners at the edges of the counter weight holes. Pictures are in the SB so take a look and not just at the serial numbers.

I hope everyone that needed the "rear wall stabilator stiffening" performed is done. They were all due by the end of Nov. If you haven't done it then your grounded until it gets done.

p.s.

It isn't just the CT's that fall within these serial numbers, so read the following sentence about having raised stiffeners at the edges of the counter weight holes. Pictures are in the SB so take a look and not just at the serial numbers.

Roger....my understanding of this SB is that airplanes earlier than #06-09-01 are not affected as they were not fitted with balancing weights on the trim tab. My CT is an 06 (pre #06-09-01) build and has the full width trim tab but no balancing weights.

Of course if you had a replacement trim tab or stab. installed subsequently....then you might be affected.

Dave

p.s.

Heres one that may be of interest. Three maybe four months ago I had a TEMPORARY VNE of 120knts placed on my aircraft 2006 SW. I was told that a single case of elevator flutter in europe had been the instigator of this alert and it applied to all full width trim tabs. When I enquired why this did not apply to the USA I was advised that they have different elevators? Still have not heard a thing about " investigations" taking place at Flight Design. Anyone in Europe been advised of this????

Roger, excellent summary. Thanks for posting this. I keep a summary spreadsheet for all service bulletins and safety alerts for airframe, engine and propellor logs. It is a constant effort to keep these updated but it's necessary as you have shown.

Regarding the stabilator reinforcement, modification of my stabilator was done last fall. My CTSW s/n is 06-08-02 and was supposed to not need the modification. Inspection of the stabilator revealed that I did have balance weights and did not have reinforcement of the stabilator. Reinforcement was required and this was carried out.

Dave, I have gathered information in regards to the stabilator modification. If you think I may be able to provide information that would help with your temporary restriction, send me an email. Seems that I have read somewhere that the stabilators installed on European CT's are made from a different composite than those in the U.S. and the stiffness modulus is different?

Here's the SA from FD Germany that I recall reading. SA-LTUL-CTSW-04. The issue is with aramid fiber stabilators in European Microlight CTSW's. U.S. CTSW's have carbon fiber and are not affected. I'm not sure where this leaves Dave in Australia? If you don't have a microlight, I assume that you are not affected?

Europe safety alert_stabilator_LTUL_CTSW-04.pdf

Archived