I’m going Elsa and need direction please!

Buckaroo

I’ve decided to go Experimental on my 2007 CTSW. Can someone please direct me as to the procedures and paperwork to do this? I remember seeing those on this forum but can’t find them. 

I’ll be attending the 6 classes and hopefully will then be able to take care of my plane myself. ?

Good for you Buckaroo!

Probably the hardest part is making the decision to actually do it.

There is plenty of help here to guide you through the transition process. Andy just finished taking his CTSW to ELSA and I am sure he will be a valuable source of timely information.

Congrats.  I’m away from home at a work conference at the moment, but once I have some time I will send you a private note with some information.  I know a great DAR here in the Atlanta area, but obviously you will need somebody closer to home.  There are a few gotchas and pitfalls to the process, but overall it is pretty easy.

One thing that you should definitely do, is request from the FAA a copy of the CD with all the paperwork filed for your airplane.  It will have PDFs of some of the original forms that the DAR needs to verify, that I was not able to get anywhere else (including from Flight Design!).  I have a link to the website to request the CD somewhere, I will make sure I get it to you.

I’m excited for you, I think you will enjoy the process and the advantages of E-LSA.  I can’t think of a situation better suited to it than yours.

5 hours ago, WmInce said:

Good for you Buckaroo!

Probably the hardest part is making the decision to actually do it.

There is plenty of help here to guide you through the transition process. Andy just finished taking his CTSW to ELSA and I am sure he will be a valuable source of timely information.

Thanks for the support. Yes I am sure this is the logical way to go now. 

Watch out for your Experimental Operating Limitations. Have the DAR sent you a copy of them before you change. You could end up with an FAA requirement to comply with all manufacturers life limited articles or include in your inspection program an FAA approved program that provides an equivalent level of safety for those articles. I don't know if this includes engine overhaul based on TBO.

prw

• 8 months later...

I may have post in the wrong place first. But here goes again, hoping for better luck

Hi Andy I have read many of your informative posts on CTFlier. Due to FD no longer supporting the CTSW, I am also at a point where I would like to take my CTSW to ESLA. I understand you done well on your Operating Limitations etc. Perhaps you could send me a copy of yours and any tips you may have for me. I live near ILM in NC so I guess one would have to use a DAR in this area. Last Friday I earned my LSRM-A license at Blue Ridge Community College VA.

We met Edsel Ford (no kidding) there, when he addressed our class. He is the FAAs top guru on SLSAs and ELSAs. He is the one I understand who writes the rules. He informed us that if one took an SLSA to ELSA and at a later time when you were selling it you can return it to SLSA by a simple endorsement if everything was returned to original SLSA standards. That was news to me. 

Thanks in advance 

Oliver Downey LSRM-A

Odowneyeng@gmail.com

(516) 817-4299

Who says FD doesn’t support the CTSW anymore?  They don’t build them, but as far as I know they still offer parts and support.

I will post my operating limitations when I get a chance to visit the hangar.  I’m recovering from shoulder surgery and so have not been to the airport much.

While taking the LSRM course another student from Florida who works on many FDs made that assertion. He informed us that a Taxiing Plane Rear Ended a CTSW. He also stated that FD would not supply the needed parts to effect the repairs.

Those are the only details I have. I understand Support means being able to supply replacement parts, such as a Rudder and Elevator.

Thanks Andy that makes me feel better. Have a quick recovery from your shoulder surgery. Tore my rotator cup six years ago. Had the micro surgery. Never looked back. Do the exercises they give you and you will get that arm over your head in eight weeks to the day.

My doctor said don’t lift anything more than a glass of brandy. He is a fellow Irishman.

• 4 years later...
On 7/2/2018 at 12:45 AM, Clay Johnson said:

Andy,  I’m working on converting to ELSA too. Can you send me example operating limitations?  Thanks

I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm strongly considering getting my CTSW changed over to experimental. Would you mind sending me a cooy of your operating limitations as well? I would greatly appreciate it!

Tom,

Your CT will be registered under 21.291i. 

FAA Order 8130.2J is the implementing instruction.  The applicable operating limitations are listed in Appendix D, Table D-1.  Those that apply to  you will list 191 under the Certification Basis column.  Any 191 will apply and make careful note of 191i which specifically addresses our category.

The DAR has limited ability to pick and choose from the list, I found out when I had my E-AB (different animal but similar certification procedure) done in May.  My DAR and I went over each operating limitation specifically so you'll have a chance to ask questions.  This was my third aircraft certification and each has been different as rules change, so don't be surprised if things you read online based on past certifications are no longer in force.

There are some OL paragraphs that you may prefer to not be included.  Some of them carry over manufacturers instructions into the OL so you may not get out of some maintenance items you'd hoped to escape.

Note when your OL are listed, they are renumbered.  If your DAR chooses 1,5,22 and 48 (I made those up) they will be renumbered 1,2,3,4 but will include a reference so you can see where they came from in 8130.2J Appendix D table D-1.