BRS 1350HS Rocket Kit

Here is a picture of the BRS 12 year rocket replacement kit. You build it from the ground up. You will need a vise and be able to read. :ive_got_it-1379:

Fairly easy, but if your mechanic can't get the plug gap right, set a prop pitch or know how to check the friction on the gearbox you may want to let someone else do it. :fainting-1344::laughter-3293:

BRS Rocket Kit.jpg

We discussed this a while ago and if I recall correctly, we left off where we were discussing the fact that the whole rocket doesn't need to be replaced, just the two pucks inside the housing.  If I recall further, there were some (Tom and Roger?) that felt that anyone with a small amount of training in removing and installing these pucks would be capable of servicing our rockets locally.  Can the proper technique be obtained by our mechanics and can our rockets be serviced by them, once they are knowledgeable on the procedure? 

The kit above is what everyone with a CT will receive for their rocket replacement.  It will come in two boxes. It is the entire rocket assembly that you take off before sending the chute back for a re-pack plus the cable holder that the cable runs up into. The instructions are good with pictures. It shouldn't be an issue except for those that can't get a spark plug gap correct. :eyebrow-1057:Just make sure they put the screw that is attached to the igniter in the end slot and put the screw through the eye of the cable. I have seen people put the cable eye on the outside of the screw and crush it and or not get the screw through the cable eye at all..

Piece of cake.

What's the worst that can happen? ;)

It is my recent understanding, BRS will not sell parts (BRS 1350) for a rocket which has timed out, at 12 years. The whole rocket, as Roger posted with the photo, must be replaced. The BRS tech, Derek, indicated that due to hardware improvements and incompatibility issues, that is the only way they will sell the kits. Another issue was liability. They would rather just have the entire rocket unit replaced, rather than piecing a unit together (bastardizing), as a serious BRS safety device. I do not believe there is a monetary motive for that position (YMMV).

If the parachute repack is done concurrently with rocket replacement, the current combined cost is $1980 (excluding shipping). The parachute and rocket are shipped separately. For my particular situation, shipping for each was $150, one way. The rocket is shipped by ground only (as an explosive). I requested FedEx 2nd Day Air for shipping the parachute (at approx. 35 lbs.).

If the parachute repack and rocket are not purchased at the same time, the combined cost is approximately $400 more. You get a price break for replacing both at the same time.

Thanks Bill.  Based on comments I've read, I was under the assumption that the replacement of the rocket pucks was a simple procedure and could be done "in the field".  It appears that there is more to the rebuild of the rocket than I thought.  Consequently, I now understand why BRS must protect itself from liability and will not ship components but only the complete system.  The expenses are reasonable when the complete rocket motor is involved and, like you, I don't see BRS taking this position to "make money".

One other thing I would like to mention.
Due to my extraordinary circumstances, BRS shipped my parachute back to me 2 days after they received it. They usually return a repack in less than 2 weeks. But for my special needs, they went above and beyond. I really appreciate that.
Excellent service from BRS.
Point of contact is:
Derek Kuefler
BRS Aerospace Inc. – www.brsaerospace.com
380 Airport Rd · South St. Paul, MN 55075 · USA
Phone: 651-294-3275 / 651-457-7491

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished installing my re packed chute and new rocket. Cost was $ 2130, didn't include shipping since I delivered and picked up the unit. For those within driving range of St. Paul I would recommend doing it that way, not just to save the $ 150 dollar shipping charge but to take the plant tour and learn more about the chute and particularly the rocket. Very interesting. When you open the package it's just as the picture Roger posted. The instruction DVD that came with was it was primarily directed toward a new generic installation and didn't address the rocket assembly, how ever the BRS Rocket Assembly instruction sheet on line was very helpful. My only criticism of it was the pictures and narrative were rarely on the same page. Not a big deal but not the best way to write instructions, particularly for rocket assembly. I saved the box with all the packing if anyone can use it to ship their unit back for repack, probably wouldn't cost much to send and empty box. Let me know if anyone can use it. By the way, whenever Roger says " no big deal" I generally roll my eyes but in this case it was pretty straight forward. As always I take copious pictures as I remove things to be sure It looks the same when I reassemble. Paid off big time at the 5 year hose change.

al meyer

Hi Dick, no interesting pictures, I just make a habit of taking pictures of everything before dissamby so I can reference it when I  reassemble .  You might be interested in reviewing the BRS Rocket assembly document on line, gives you a good idea of the components and configuration. 

al

On 11/14/2017 at 7:05 AM, Runtoeat said:

. . . What's the cost with shipping?

The rocket must be shipped via ground transportation. Since it contains rocket fuel, the shipment is considered an explosive. FedEx delivered a new rocket (12th year) back to us within a week, St. Paul, Mn. to Tucson. $150. Shipping explosive material is expensive.

In my particular case, I requested expedited handling for my BRS repack. They worked with me and honored my request. From the time they received my chute, they shipped it back to me in 3 working days. Cost for 2nd day air, FedEx, was another $150.

The chute is shipped in a brand new box, with appropriate packing materials, so it can be used again. Each time BRS receives a chute, it is sent back with a new, cardboard box. I left my box with Roger, so he can use it again for the next guy.

My total cost from BRS was $2280, which included a new rocket, a parachute repack and expedited shipping.

I have no complaints at all. Service from BRS was excellent.

Besides that, I had a great mechanic (Roger Lee LSA Service) remove, assemble the new rocket and re-install the entire unit.

• 11 months later...

KEEP THE LAUNCH TUBE.

I'm doing my 12 year repack and rocket replacement now. The kits have changed. The igniter assembly must be detached from the bottom of the launch tube. (two screws), then replaced with a new one. Keep the tube.

I had sent the rocket and igniter and tube out to bomb disposal before the new kit came back.  I should have waited. 

As I have experience with exactly one aircraft, this detail was not obvious. I did ask Derek to update the removal manual to clearly state parts to be retained.

Archived