No more 3rd Class Medical?

S3flyer

From Avweb:

December 30, 2010

Arguing For The End Of The Third Class Medical

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/third_class_medical_certification_pilots_relax_drop_accident_203880-1.html

Seems there may be movement to remove or relax the 3rd class medical. This time it may be for budget reasons so could actually happen (eventually :) ).

So would y'all that are Sport Pilots still fly/own LSAs or would you gave gone for a PP and a certified plane? Same question for the PPs out there?

I'm an instrument rated PP with no issues in keeping my medical. I'd still buy my Sting S3 today. LSA's are more fun to fly and can provide more than adequate cross country capabilities for 2. That's all I need now that the kids hit their twenties.

I would say I would stick with my LS, it's so much cheaper to operate and so fun to fly! Looking at the number of hours LSA pilots are flying per year in their aircraft I think they are here to stay. I only put about 30 hrs on my Comanche last year because it's expensive to operate and a pain to lug in and out of the hanger just for a local joy ride. Don't get me wrong I love the Comanche as a family hauler, but for fun and trips for two you can't beat the CT!

I made that choice already, as I had my PP-ASEL with 3rd Class Medical when I bought my CTSW. I did so as it suited my mission better and outperformed the GA aircraft I was flying, at half the cost to operate. I've had more fun flying my CT than any other plane I've flown.

...interesting idea, but it won't happen quickly or easily... or at all. The reciprocal agreements around the world (ICAO?) generally require similar medical checks. Plus, heaven forbid, it would eliminate layers of bureacray. I see it taking a long time, if ever.

Tim

It was amazing that we got Sport Pilot and LSA at all. I don't see the 3rd class going away anytime soon. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see more rules coming for LSA and talk of medicals for Sport Pilots. I have nothing to base this on but you can bet there were those dead set against LSA and SP. They are simply waiting for their opportunity.

I'm not betting on it either but $$$ do tend to drive change. It's interesting that the discussion this time is coming from within the FAA so could be a glimmer of hope given the budget pressures.

I don't see the recipricol international agreements in jeopardy. Pretty easy to require 3rd class or better if flying international but not if staying domestic. This would reduce the paperwork by 1000 fold, I'd guess.

FAA is looking down the road and seeing it's budget being reduced due to our government being out of money. FAA cannot manage their tremendously complex and costly GA 3rd class medical requirement now and definitely will not be able to do so with future reduced budget. The data coming from our LSA community shows a very, very low occurance of "incidents" due to medical reasons. This also provides impetus for ending GA 3rd class requirement. I think 3rd class medical requrement could go away.

Haven't posted here in awhile but I was talking to a very reputable flight examiner who you all know and he says it'll never happen. The government will never relinquish control, as has been said many times on this thread. All it can do is get bigger. For example, think of your fishing license which a lot of us have. When I was a kid, we weren't required to have one. As a matter of fact, the government tried to encourage kids to get into fishing. Then, they started requiring them for people over 18 yrs old just to "keep track of everything". Then, it was 16 yrs, etc. Now, when you go in to buy one, you have to show signs of a training/safety course, show proof of residency, ecology fees and buy a stamp for every species/lake you're going to fish for. My license is up to about $50.00 annually for what was free for many years. This long analogy is the same way for the FAA. They're not going to give up anything unless they're completely hamstrung by gutting them $-wise. Just my 0.02 cents worth. BTW, my 182 already has 25 hrs on it this last month. I'm working on my instrument rating now.

I hope I'm wrong. There's a million 172's and cherokee's out there. I'm sure FD and the other LSA builder's wouldn't be too happy either so you'd be fighting an industry on top of the government..

Take care

John

Haven't posted here in awhile but I was talking to a very reputable flight examiner who you all know and he says it'll never happen. The government will never relinquish control, as has been said many times on this thread. All it can do is get bigger. For example, think of your fishing license which a lot of us have. When I was a kid, we weren't required to have one. As a matter of fact, the government tried to encourage kids to get into fishing. Then, they started requiring them for people over 18 yrs old just to "keep track of everything". Then, it was 16 yrs, etc. Now, when you go in to buy one, you have to show signs of a training/safety course, show proof of residency, ecology fees and buy a stamp for every species/lake you're going to fish for. My license is up to about $50.00 annually for what was free for many years. This long analogy is the same way for the FAA. They're not going to give up anything unless they're completely hamstrung by gutting them $-wise. Just my 0.02 cents worth. BTW, my 182 already has 25 hrs on it this last month. I'm working on my instrument rating now.

I hope I'm wrong. There's a million 172's and cherokee's out there. I'm sure FD and the other LSA builder's wouldn't be too happy either so you'd be fighting an industry on top of the government..

Take care

John

John,

Most flight examiners will be against this. They wont admit it but the real reason is it will cut them out of the loop.

As far as the fishing analogy I believe the government makes $ selling fishing licenses. They are not making $ overlooking third class medicals.

Nobody at the FAA wants to lose thier job so the way I see the third class going away is thru is budget cuts and that is very likely.

Why do you think tecnam and flight design are both working on four seaters? I dont know either but it makes me wonder.

Mark

Mark, I hope you and all the other guys on all the other forums are right! I'd love to give up the whole mess. It was really hard getting mine back and it took a lot of $$$ too. Some people are saying planes under 6000lbs wouldn't need a medical. We'll see. I even got an LSA buddy of mine calling me from Florida asking about all the hype on the dropping the 3rd. Sure is a lot of noise out there.

John

PS. I hate to say this, but I use the 3rd class physical to keep myself in shape. I know that sounds stupid but I lack discipline and I let the FAA do it for me.

From Avweb:

December 30, 2010

Arguing For The End Of The Third Class Medical

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/third_class_medical_certification_pilots_relax_drop_accident_203880-1.html

Seems there may be movement to remove or relax the 3rd class medical. This time it may be for budget reasons so could actually happen (eventually :) ).

So would y'all that are Sport Pilots still fly/own LSAs or would you gave gone for a PP and a certified plane? Same question for the PPs out there?

I'm an instrument rated PP with no issues in keeping my medical. I'd still buy my Sting S3 today. LSA's are more fun to fly and can provide more than adequate cross country capabilities for 2. That's all I need now that the kids hit their twenties.

I doub't it will ever happen but in my case it wouldn't matter. I maintain my medical so I can rent when I go south for the winter. Even if the FAA didn't require it the insurance carriers probably would.

If they did drop the 3rd. class it might affect the LSA market but I'm not so sure. I haven't talked to one LSA pilot who didn't prefer the LSA to certified. On a net basis my CTsw is MUCH more expensive to own/fly than either the 152 or 172, never the less I would never go back. I fly for fun and on the funscale there's no comparison.

Archived