Magneto Check

Duski Don

After a little more troubleshooting it looks as if it is the red wire which is in a seperate loom. One module the red is open and the other it reads within the resistance tolerance.

Now the question is how difficult is it to replace and if i should just replave both? Is there a best practice to eliminate future failures?

Hopefully the guys at flight design dont have a "restocking" fee.

More to come

Roger,

Are the red wires epoxy potted to their respective pick-up? After going thru and testing the resistance on the red wires I have found that I get continuity on the red wire (which is open to ground)all the way back to where the look goes into the engine. I was hoping the break would have been at one of the bends, making repair easier.

Hi Chris,

Usually the wires don't break inside the stator. I won't say never, but very rare. The red wire usually gets broken or mashed against the case some where. They are attached where it can not be fixed inside the stator. I would do a good double check before pulling the engine.

Found the problem. Looks like the connection to the magnet went bad. Really looks like a manufacturing defect.

couple questions.

Lockwood sells the assembly in both the certified 891-095c and the non-certified 891-095 with a 500.00 difference in the price. What is the difference in manufacturing that makes it more expensive? If there is a difference.

This is from a 2006 and obviously the warranty is long expired. Will Rotax entertain looking at the stator and deciding if it is in fact a manufacturing defect and ship a new stator n/c?

Who should I call to get this in front of the right person? I don't want it getting lost by sending it to an unreliable distributor?

Get the un-certified. There is no difference for this part. The 912S engine go through a little more factory run time and get all the part serial numbers documented which meet a higher level of certification process than the 912ULS. Basically the engine's are almost the same. The Guys with the 912S certified engine are stuck buying the certified version.

You can try to get help on this part from Rotax, but it needs to have the SIR report filled out and sent to the Rotax Safety and Flying club or print it out and send the form and part to a distributor. I think I would send it to Leading Edge Airfoils in your neck of the woods. They do a pretty good job.

The problem will be is that you would be down until Rotax warranty contacts you or Leading Edge which may not be fast and you may be down for a while. If they help you at all it will most likely be a 50% off on the part. If you buy the part now and send all the stuff in they will not reimburse you later.

A warning to all,

If you expect to get help on warranty items Rotax will want copies of your logbook. Rotax is fairly good on helping people. I have preached this many times that if the logbook is a mess or the logbook annuals and 100 hrs. are 2-3 liners or you can't read it you may not get help. They want to see that the engine has been cared for in accordance with their maint.

Another tid-bit of info. When installing a new engine if you fail to log that an oil purge was done and later have a major issue that may be associated you will be denied. Good, detailed and thorough logbook entries are the only thing that protects you for warranty claims, with the FAA, Insurance and court battles.

Archived