Arizona Registation Fees

TAYLOR ALLEGRO

For 3 years I have been paying $25.00 per year to the State of Arizona MVD for my Allegro 2000. This year I GOT A $225.00 Bill... Anyone else? Whats up for a almost 10x increase? Roger,Tim, other Arizona owners whats up?

I just got one for over $300 for my CT, I guess when the state is broke they find ways to generate revenue!

I was curious so I googled the registration basis fee:

28-8335. License tax; tax rate

A. An annual license tax is imposed on all aircraft based in this state and required to be registered pursuant to this article, unless an exemption for the aircraft is established pursuant to this article. The license tax is payable to the department on initial registration and annually on or before the last day of February.

B. Except as provided in sections 28-8336 through 28-8341, the department shall determine and assess the license tax prescribed by subsection A of this section on the basis of one-half per cent of the average fair market value of the particular make, model and year of aircraft. The tax assessed under this subsection shall not be less than twenty dollars for a full year of registration.

So, looks like the fair market value for your CT is around $70K.

I sure hope Texas doesn't go down this path :angry:

It sounds like this was a surprise to AZ aircraft owners. If so, that's one more reason why all of us need to continually pay attention. If AZ has a pilots association (Oregon has the Oregon Pilots Association, many other states have similar) they should have been on top of the legislation and rule making that led to this. At the very least, even if they lost the battle, they should have made every AZ pilot aware of this. If they didn't, maybe it's time for new leadership. Does AZ have such an organization?

There are also national organizations that can help with this but to be most effective they need to be working on these things before they happen. After the fact makes it more difficult. All of us should belong to at least one of these organizations.

If this went down without a fight in AZ, you can bet other states will want to do the same. So, the message is get involved at the state and national level and, watch your 6.

For what this is worth, in California we pay a 1% 'County Property Tax'. Our bill has been in the $1,300.00 range PER YEAR. When we moved the CT (changed county), I was able to argue the tax based on 'fair market value'. Reduced to $985.00 for this year.... This on top of the state sales tax which was $10,975.00 when delivered....

John, yes, you're right, we've all got to get involved. Our government cannot keep spending and then paying with newly printed money. Exorbitant and "in-the-dark-of-nite" tax assessments reminds me of earlier times in our Country's history. I don't understand why we've not seen anything from the AOPA regarding this?

To the Forum administrators, is there a place here in the Forum where we might post information about new organization taking place to represent us and our sport? I have attached a link to a AOPA Online article which is an example of the type of information that we may share and use to leverage the considerable influence our numbers afford us. The posting about the increased aircraft tax laws that were ratified with hardly any notice in Arizona prompts me to suggest this.

The following is a link to a recent AOPA Online article. If this link doesn't work, the subject is "organizing an aviation legistlative caucus in Ohio"

My link

Gents,

These states know a "Fat Cat" when they see one. It sounds like California has more and more places to spread less and less wealth. In Idaho I paid $12.00 last year. It is based upon weight.

Bob

Bob, Michigan has a similar tax - one cent per pound of gross wt. My CTSW costs me $13.20 to register. Although I may feel good about my extremely low registration fee, I know here in Michigan it is only a matter of time before this affordable tax will not be the case. Michigan, along with a lot of the other States, is going to have to attempt to pay bills with funds it does not have while it continues to spend. Increased vehicle "use" taxes for all manner of transportation will be coming. A lot of other states will also be affected in a similar manner. If we keep each other informed of what is going on and have a "we're all in this together" attitude, perhaps we might at least soften the blow of the tax increases that will be coming.

• 1 year later...

Evidently MN has CA legislators - $960 because I live in MN + $20 to ND because that is where it is based. :(

Other than CTs being used for commercial purposes, and assuming the process of going ELSA devalues SLSAs, would it be worth it to do so TAX re-calculationwise? Could one recalculate to their favor?

Archived