4-place CT?

FastEddieB

Don't know if this is old news, but it's new to me (via AOPA):

LSA maker plans four-place airplane

Flight Design, the German company that quickly rose to the top in sales of light sport aircraft in the United States with its CT model, is planning a new four-place aircraft to be offered on the certified market. (Light sport aircraft are limited to two passengers.) Flight Design CEO Matthias Betsch said a four-seat prototype is nearly done and will be introduced at the trade show AERO Friedrichshafen in Germany in early April. It will then be on display at AirVenture this summer.

Tim,

I believe (haven't looked it up so don't hold me to it), that the 115 HP # on the 914 is the max continuous output. Max HP # is close to 130 HP for takeoff, etc. The Flight Design hybrid, also puts a 40 HP electric drive into it, so you could have up to 170 HP, when both are running full.

FD Hybrid press release

More info on engine

Roger,

That would do it... then add electronic fuel injection and you've got a real economical cruiser! Predator has been flying with fuel injected 914 since 2001.

In reviewing the info on the Hybrid Engine, I found this recent quote about the engine from a top Flight Design person:

"Reinhardt says the engine was produced to power a new aircraft currently being developed by Flight Design. He says with an all-new aircraft, they wanted a new power plant. “What we have available on the market, the current engines, are based on technologies from the ’30s and ’40s,” Reinhardt explained to Wired.com. “We must have a proper engine that is fuel-efficient, that is noise-efficient and is economically viable.”

Tim

I'm thinking a diesel makes a lot of sense given the dubious future of 100LL and the fact that the majority of the planes will probably be sold in Europe. It will be very interesting to see the next announcements.

Jim, good point. I wasn't even thinking about 100LL but it is a major selling point for diesels in aircraft. The TDI that was originally in the Diamond was very quiet. The new Austro should be equal to or better than the original diesel. Seems that I recall it being around 155hp. Perfect size for the new FD 4 place.

• 3 weeks later...

Official News of the 4-place... from Flight Design USA... now called the "C4".

While the aircraft will be "shown" in April, it's apparent that the design and features are still open. FD is soliciting ideas (starting March 1st) at This website.

FD is also planning to create "certified" versions of the CTLS and MC.

Read more here

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

more info on the C4...

High wing, with less of a quick taper into the tail. 150 kts cruise, 1200 nm range, $200-$250K. The prototype will be flying in 2012 and certified by then end of 2012, with production in 2013. The Euro model is said to have a diesel engine.

Don't forget, full-size mock-up will be shown April 13, at the AERO show.

Tim

Archived