CT crash in Cheshire, CT

FastEddieB

Roger, as I have done countless times in the past, I need to pick your brain. How close can you come to balancing the prop? Does this normally get you "close enough"? Also, how much work is it to remove the prop, balance and re-install compared to doing a dynamic balance on the plane? Having never removed the prop, I'm wondering how much work it is to do so? Does the pitch and track need to be set again? Last question - does the tapered cones on your ballancer work for the prop hub or did you have to make adapters work with the prop hub?

Hi Dick,

A static balance is easy. If you have the wheel balancer I recommended it works very well with the prop, too. It is more than sensitive to do a static prop balance. Removing the prop is no more than removing the main mounting bolts and sliding it off. You can just do the prop or slide the hub and spinner backing plate off too and do the complete setup including putting the bolts back in place to do the entire hub assembly. Doing a static for some gets you close to a better balance, but adding the dynamic balance is the best way to really dial it in. You must do a static to do a good dynamic unless your static is already very close and there is no way to know that unless you do the static. When you are doing the static you can use fender washers added to one of the large mounting prop bolts to change the balance. Mine took a 1" washer to make it perfect. When the prop rotates let it stop, then add the fender washer 180 degrees from the low point. The prop should not rotate if you set it in any clock position on the balancer spindle. It should stay and not move in any clocked position. Then when this is done remount the prop. You do not need to do anything with the blades, just bolt it back up. I did mark my prop and hub so they went back on exactly as I removed them and I also marked my bolts as to which holes in the prop they went to because that is how it was balanced as a total unit and you want everything to be identical when mounted as it was during the balance. This really is a fairly simple procedure.

A static gets you in the ballpark and a dynamic dials it in exactly.

Archived