Engine Oil

NC Bill

Hi Dave,

Nice tip. It is $12 a case cheaper. $76 verses $88.

But the Oil Store charges $25 for shipping. I'm not sure what Shell charged a case for shipping. Seems like it was less. I have sent an email to Shell asking for the shipping charges so I'll let you know. Probably won't hear back until Monday.

Roger, you sent a comparison of oils a while ago and this showed Amsoil synthetic being the best. In particular, the Amsoil had excellent anti-foaming capability which I think is important for use in the high rpm Rotax engines with gearbox. The Shell Sport Plus 4 oil was perhaps too new to be in this comparison? Is the Shell Sport Plus 4 now the latest and greatest or is the Amsoil comparable to it? I'm just talking about synthetics since I use Mogas.

Hi Dick,

My personal opinion.

Aero Shell had a foaming issue right up front, but has been fixed for some time now. I absolutely believe AmsOil motorcycle oil 10-40W (winter) or 20-50W (summer) is a better oil, It's a full synthetic, but it's inherent properties are better too. Can I show you hard black and white evidence , no. Can you go wrong with either....No, your good to go. I do a lot of reading and research. The Honda 1800 Goldwing is know for clunking into gear. I have tried oils like Mobile One Racing 4T and the clunk goes a way for a while and comes back, but the AmsOil makes it stay away.

I use AmsOil in my shop for the 91 Oct. boys and Aero Shell for the 100LL boys. I'm not trying to say all other oils are bad because there are some good oils out there. Oils may be like Chevy's and Ford's, you like one, but not the other, but they both get you where you're going and one seems to last as long as the other.

The one thing I would tell anyone is just change what ever oil you use on a regular scheduled basis. I change mine every 50 hrs and sample every 100 or at least annually if you don't fly 100 hrs a year. Remember the oil is the blood of your engine and we all know what diseased blood can do.

(I add an ounce of rendered Arizona squirrel oil to the mix and I get another 20 mph in the plane! The squirrel oil absolutely has to come from AZ. We have extremely fast squirrels. laugh.gif)

Roger, thanks for the reply. I've been using Mobile 4T but after reading the comparison you put on our forum, and your experience with Amsoil, I'm going to switch over to it.

We've got a lot of racoons. How about 'coon oil added to my oil?? Not sure if I'll get 20mph increase though!! :-)

Archived