NEW propeller for CT

Jacques

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello fellow CT'ers - I just wanted to share my experience with E-Props....(and no I am not getting paid by them!)

Let me start by saying the shipping and packaging was first rate.  DHL delivered the prop with nary a ding in the boxes and they came all the way from France.  I get packages all the time from UPS / Fed Ex from 30 minutes away and they look like a gorilla handled them.  So kudos to DHL.

The prop arrived on time and the communication was great during the whole process.  They even sent some free "swag" of a hat, pen, key chain, prop covers, the gauge, etc.  So many thanks to E-Props.

Installation was straightforward and I used a calibrated dial type torque wrench.  Digital snap on for the spinner screws.  I weighed everything I took off and everything I installed.  The old Neuform was 12 lbs 15oz with all the hardware.  The new E-Prop totaled 5 lbs 5.25 oz with everything.  So, just over a 7.5 pound weight loss.  

I dialed in 27 degrees of pitch and found that to be perfect right out of the box.  On roll out, you have to feed in the throttle to about 85% and then 100% a few seconds later or you can overrev the motor.  Once in the air, per their testing, I did my 5500 rpm wide open no problem.  

As far as total speed, I've had it on now for a variety of flights at altitudes ranging up to about 7500' so far.  I can definitely notice a speed increase and would guesstimate a no-wind cruise speed of 125-128 knots at a hair below 5500 rpm.  In fact, I had to change my settings on the auto-pilot so it would not keep raising my altitude in attempts to "slow" my plane down.  I am very pleased with the smoothness and speed of this prop.

I did re-check torque as it had loosened a bit after roughly 3 hours of flying.  Then again, everything had settled in, so don't skip this step (manual calls for after 1 hour).  

To be fair, I am not sure if I had re-pitched my Neuform if I could not have gone faster.  However, the E-Prop has definitely met my expectations on my new flying speeds.  I would say I gained 5-8 knots of speed, and I am still able to get to pattern altitude by the end of the runway when it is just me in the plane. 

Thank you E-Props.

Bob F.   

20230919_133741.jpg

20230919_141917.jpg

20230919_141923.jpg

20230919_141942.jpg

20230919_142110.jpg

20230924_150751.jpg

On 11/12/2023 at 8:15 PM, CTSW Bob said:

I dialed in 27 degrees of pitch and found that to be perfect right out of the box.  On roll out, you have to feed in the throttle to about 85% and then 100% a few seconds later or you can overrev the motor.  Once in the air, per their testing, I did my 5500 rpm wide open no problem.  

As far as total speed, I've had it on now for a variety of flights at altitudes ranging up to about 7500' so far.  I can definitely notice a speed increase and would guesstimate a no-wind cruise speed of 125-128 knots at a hair below 5500 rpm.  In fact, I had to change my settings on the auto-pilot so it would not keep raising my altitude in attempts to "slow" my plane down.  I am very pleased with the smoothness and speed of this prop.

I did re-check torque as it had loosened a bit after roughly 3 hours of flying.  Then again, everything had settled in, so don't skip this step (manual calls for after 1 hour).  

To be fair, I am not sure if I had re-pitched my Neuform if I could not have gone faster.  However, the E-Prop has definitely met my expectations on my new flying speeds.  I would say I gained 5-8 knots of speed, and I am still able to get to pattern altitude by the end of the runway when it is just me in the plane. 

Bob, I think your experience matches what others are seeing...it's quite an amazing upgrade.  You didn't mention it, but your climb probably increased as well.  I get about 1250fpm solo on a cool day now, which is about 150-200fpm more than the Neuform.

You might be pitched just a hair flat, but not enough to worry about.  I can't overspeed my engine on takeoff, but it's definitely a little in the yellow arc.  The important thing is that at WOT you see right at 5500rpm.  That's where I am, though it's usually around 5400rpm and creeps up to 5500rpm as speed builds up.  I'm usually at 5500rpm or 5550rpm WOT as the speed maxes out. 

Every day has a little different air, but I have seen 132kt TAS at WOT at altitude.  My CT seems a little faster than most (no Tundra gear and great rigging), and 127kt TAS was the best I did before with the Neuform.   The Neuform is a good prop, but I don't think it can match the E-Props in performance, and the weight savings right off the nose is a huge plus.

I have noticed that the drag on the E-Props is lower too, and it can take more time to slow down when pulling out the power, so you have to plan slightly more ahead to get on speed for landing, etc.

About the carpet- Hey, I live in “the carpet capital of the world!”  It actually makes it warmer and certainly nicer on the back or knees when working on my bird.  

FM- Yes, at altitude, wide open, I do get 5500 RPM and sometimes I can eek out a bit more depending on wind or descent.  I did have to adjust my rpm settings in the pattern from my old prop.  It is definitely faster.