Big bore 912 110HP

markmn

Roger,

I know you were asked about this and did not think it existed. Looks like it does!!

Your our Rotax guru. You should know these things!!

Search "silent hektik" click on untralight. What do you think?

Thanks for the info on the fuel pump. Why is the pump with the hoses three times the money?

Mark

The bore stroke relationship is already far oversquare, adding more diameter would not be good. I am aware of a company that has a larger cylinder and piston, but you have to send them the heads to have them machined out. They then fuel inject it, but the costs are out of sight for this mod. (last time I checked it was almost 14,000 USD)

Rotax has no plans in the near term for anything like what they are talking about

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is right from Eric Tucker of Rotax. Just because you can do something to an engine doesn't mean it is always good. Long term testing should be done so you the customer doesn't have an engine rebuild or a completely ruined engine in a greatly reduced time interval.

Rotax is always very quite about new product releases, when I was at the factory last April they were very secreative about there R&D department. From what I've heard there next variation of the 912 to be released is a low compression high displacement engine most likely in the 90-95hp range. This engine is targeted more towards the PPC and Trike guys. When asking the engineers about getting more Kw out of my 912uls there response was " buy a 9-1-4"(with a very thick Austrian accent) Of course only time will tell but as far as that big bore kit is concerned it is in no way recommend by Rotax. 2006 and newer crankcases (06.0010 and newer) could probably handle the stress but I certainly wouldn't want to try it on the first or second generation cases.

It's certainly interesting to read about enhancement to the 912ULS but for the LSA world it isn't really that germane. The 95hp (continous) puts most of the slicker LSA aircraft to their legal speed limit now. And most climb in the 1000fpm category. A few more horses would always be nice but it's not going to make much of a real difference.

Still not going to make any difference to us current owners until we hit TBO and consider doing overhault or replacement.

Archived