12th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page, AZ Oct 16 - 20, 2019

Olav

I think Bill Ince was in touch about this, but obviously we’re not there.  We looked ahead at the long term forecast, and found that the weather was going to be terrible for several days coming back from the fly in.  Since I still work I could not risk several days of weather delays on the end of what was already a ten day vacation.  I also didn’t want to be tempted to fly into marginal weather to get home.

So I made the hard decision to get ahead of the weather, and turned for home from Roswell, NM.  I’m sorry I missed you all, but flying is all about making good decisions, and I think this was a smart move.

1 hour ago, AGLyme said:

Andy, did you make it through the Rockies or any other high passes ?  Would love to hear about that part of the trip... good for you for making it that far.  

I didn’t go that far, Roswell is on the east side of the mountains.

To be clear, I could have easily made it to Page, it was just a four hour flight away with good weather.  The problem was that the long term forecast for returning from the fly-in Sunday & Monday made it highly likely I’d be delayed several days for weather.  I have several critical projects going on at work, and couldn’t really justify taking more time off than planned.

Back from the 2019 Page Fly-in.  The pre-event at Bryce Canyon was terrific and will likely become a permanent part of the Page Fly-in.  While this was smaller event than usual in that a number of folks had to cancel at the last minute due mainly to weather, we still had 12 planes come in including from as far away as Tennessee and Washington State.  Sadly, after 11 years of accident free flying this year's event was marked by two crashes in two days.  The silver lining with both was that no one was injured let alone killed.  Thursday a group went to Monument Valley.  After breakfast the wind was blowing over 20 knots and on that one way out runway this was a right quartering tailwind.  That is a condition that requires correct use of control inputs to counter, inputs that are not often practiced nor familiar to many pilots.  First several airplanes got off well enough though with a lot of dramatic moves as noted from a few watching from Goulding's Restaurant on the slope above the strip.  Then it happened....loss of control and a wallowing stall at about 10 feet followed by a cartwheeling crash in a plume of dust.  But then, unbelievably, both pilot and passenger crawled out of the totally shattered CTLS, soaked in fuel, but with only minor scratches and bruises.  I know that when I was orbiting above the fray I was sure I was looking down on, at best, serious injuries and likely a fatality.  The photos of the crash are chilling but at the same time a testament to the crashworthy construction of the CT line...and the fact that so much energy was dissipated by the structure breaking up the way it did.  No fire thankfully.  Photos of this will be posted shortly I'm sure from those who have them.  Again, when you see the photos it is incredible no one was injured beyond scratches and bruises.  We drove over from Page and picked up both pilot and passenger who both then had dinner that night and joined the group around the hotel bar table.  Incredible.  Second accident was in Marble Canyon and involved a Titan Tornado and was also wind related.  This was a much less serious accident involving an uncontrolled departure from the runway into the dirt with significant damage to the aircraft but no injuries.  The Fly-in was extremely fortunate that despite these crashes no one was injured.  Again, photos will likely be posted from those with them.  In both instances folks reacted in accordance with the safety briefing procedures we've made a point of for all the years of the fly-in.  The Group can be proud of how everyone, including the crashed planes' pilots and passengers, handled the situations and themselves.  Saturday's group flight was in beautiful, clear and calm weather and was uplake Lake Powell and then followed the Escalante River upriver to Escalante, Utah. Each year we fly in there and are met by one of the town council members, Louise Barnes, and several town citizens.  They set up a table with coffee and tea for us, then drive us into town for breakfast.  Wonderful hospitality and a warm welcome that makes this a favorite fly-in destination.  The Page Fly-in Family is really just that...a family forged in friendship and the joy of flying the beautiful Southwest together over the past years.  Thanks again to all for participating and enjoying this event.  Finally, due to the press of some other of life's challenges I will be transitioning away from organizing the Fly-in though I will be assisting the new organizer for next year's event and I hope to still attend.  An announcement as to who the new person putting on the "organizer hat" will be made shortly here on the Forum.  Safe flying everyone.    - - Olav

Thanks for posting, Olav.  And thank goodness that nobody was hurt in the two incidents.  I hate the thought of anyone losing a plane, but certainly better the plane (replaceable and now insurance owned) than a life (irreplaceable at any cost).  

I'm looking forward to photos or video of the scenery as it's always mesmerizing and magical to see flights over Page and the Colorado river.

Link to the video taken by a French tourist at Goulding's Restaurant and Trading Post at Monument Valley of the crash last Thursday morning.  She just happened to be videoing when she came out of the restaurant and happened to turn her camera to the runway below just as the accident airplane started its takeoff roll.  Another CT already in the air is above the far end of the runway.  Strong right quartering tailwind.  This runway is narrow and is a one way in other way out only runway.   Two people incredibly lucky to walk away...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=165nfRVayAWz95F9AZ0THqRebBMhINjR9

Wow, thanks for posting this. Glad everyone is OK.

Any take away's that the forum could add on possible piloting techniques if someone gets in this attitude/wind in the future?

Would the correct inputs be to start with the controls in the taxi position, and once the airspeed is alive, switch to a sideslip?

Absolutely no negativity meant toward the pilot of the plane.

I'm glad no one was seriously injured in the incident at Monument Valley, and I'm sorry for the loss of the aircraft and for the emotional distress of the pilot & passenger. 

Though I'm sure it's very difficult for the pilot to watch, I appreciate the video being made public. I hope what I've learned from will keep me from ending up in the same situation someday.

By the way, this looks a lot like the Draco incident at Reno Stead… and that was a very competent pilot.

Mike Koerner

The takeaway from the crash photo is the fact that every part was destroyed, except the compartment holding the humans.  It is an unfortunate way to validate the plane's structural goals.  To walk away from that mess is a miracle.  I hope that one day the pilot chimes in with his analysis of do's and don'ts.  The runway looks like a long sidewalk with zero room for error. 

Another one of the endless spectacular vistas we get flying Lake Powell area during the fly-in.  Navajo Mountain under the wing with Gunsight Butte left and just a

fraction of the huge body of water that is Lake Powell.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_18dc3.thumb.jpg.4378b3f5fcc4461618791b938e4efdab.jpg

The Monument Valley Runway is a decent runway, plenty wide, unless you have a stiff crosswind with a tailwind component. One interesting thing to note is the location of the Pilots Lounge which may have caused tremendous turbulence over the runway at that spot with the wind out of the East as it was. 

20191017_125308.jpg

20191017_125315.jpg

20191017_125318.jpg

20191017_125326.jpg

Monument Valley Runway FBO.jpg

• Admin2 unfeatured and unpinned this topic