How are my numbers?

NC Bill

Took two 1 1/2 hour flights in one day this week. I looked at the Engine numbers several times and here's what I saw pretty consistently between 2.5k' and 4.5k' with flaps at -6 degrees and WOT (throttle to the stop). BTW they were checked and they are at -6 degrees.

5450 RPM

128 IAS

131 TAS

52~55 Oil Pres

198~205 Oil Temp

24.7~26.6 MAP

The engine has 315TT. It climbs at 4850RPM WOT @ 73kts.

Do these #'s look about right?

Hi Bill,

Those are all normal. There is no exact set of numbers even between CT's. There is just a range to be in and all is good. Your good to go.

p.s.

If you are one of those, I have to be exact types, then you could tweak the prop 1/8 - 1/4 degree flatter, but where it is is good. The tweak would put you slightly over 5500 WOT.

Since the weather is cold the prop has more dense air to turn in so you would normally loose a few rpm during the cold winter. As the weather warms later in the spring your rpm will most likely increase slightly to hit the 5500 rpm on it's own.

Next question - there's always a next question - is the engine happy if I choose between 5000 and 5450 WOT depending on that mission's emphasis on time vs fuel economy?

I must say I'm more than impressed with 130kts TAS. I was expecting 115, maybe 120 on a good day. :D

Check your TAS vs groundspeed. I'm not saying you're not getting 130K TAS but it seems on the high side. But, then, I don't cruise 5450 either. At my normal cruise of 5200, I get between 118 - 122K TAS. Maybe I just have a slowpoke. I still remember the day Tony blew past Roger H. and me. I still think he was using some tricks he learned as an old Thud driver!!:lol:

John -- Don't ask me why?? Still will 'scream' after 800hrs. 5300 will show TAS in the 122-125 range, and we have reduced pitch a notch for the amount of slow flight we do with students. The numbers appear accurate since loose-formation wing position will show same/close numbers. I guess we just got one built on a Wednesday. Rose can 'twist' a couple kts more than I can. Explain that one...

Archived