New F2 model listed on FDUSA website

It is a "bigger" airplane, but, they achieved the same weight as the CTLS.  They are using a different carbon layup process... akin to an overbuilt metal bridge designed in the 1930's vs a bridge today... which has the same strength but WAY less material.  What I like about the plane is 1) they phased out the chief complaint about the now older design regarding landing-ease.  And, 2) there is a space behind the seat that can fit a bike... and/or lots of camping equipment.  The new owner has the right idea about technology-investing in products, now they have to invest in a revamped marketing campaign and they will have a winner product for those of us who prefer high wing aircraft.

51” wide cabin is really spacious, and the elongating of the cabin (and the engine cowling) gives it useful space and a less “stubby” look.  Overall, I like it.  Despite LSA pricing going through the roof, $185K seems pretty competitive for the equipment and useful space (and presumably load) you get.

2 hours ago, rtk said:

51” wide cabin is really spacious, and the elongating of the cabin (and the engine cowling) gives it useful space and a less “stubby” look.  Overall, I like it.  Despite LSA pricing going through the roof, $185K seems pretty competitive for the equipment and useful space (and presumably load) you get.

51" is 2" more than current CT models.  A small bump, but not earth-shattering.  And space and useful load are usually negatively correlated, you rarely get both at the same time.  

I wonder if the F2 had design requirements to be able to move to higher weights in anticipation of any LSA rules changes...

Best of all it has cup holders!!

Seriously though, I would love to have one. They seem to have checked the right boxes for significant improvement to the CTLS. And, cupholders would come in handy on many of my flights. Seriously.:D

Probably never will have one though as it would take 3 times what I would get for my CTSW.

About the weight they publish, 770#.. I wonder how that plays out in real life. For example my CTSW, which I bought new in early 2007, according to the literature was supposed to weigh 680#. Wasn't even close at 751#. And, it does not have a D120 nor autopilot. 770# would be great but you would have to have the discipline to skip some (all) of the options.

Good work FD!!

• 11 months later...