Anyone have info on programming the Flaps

DJ Todd B

Another flaps question:  I seem to remember somebody saying you could increase voltage to the flaps using a potentiometer on the flaps board.  My flaps are a little lazy and I'd like to try that.  I looked at the board and all the screws are locked in place with some hard red epoxy.  Does anybody have instructions for doing this correctly without breaking anything?

On 11/29/2022 at 11:06 AM, Roger Lee said:

No pictures, but you guys can give me a call.

Well after our phone call, I thought I had it figured out, but don't see any of the connectors you referenced.  I guess I am looking in the wrong place ... here's a shot of the flaps board ... 

IMG_4321.jpeg

That's the old style board.

There are three banana plugs labeled UP, DOWN, and something else. These manually move the flaps.

The board itself has a 3 or 4 pin plug. You need to jumper 2 pins and put the third one on a switch. If you don't have this switch, one will have to be made. DO NOT JUST GO TRYING TO MAKE ONE. Let me know. If you do this wrong, you will destroy the board and these aren't sold anymore as far as I know, and you will have to retrofit the new style.

Instruction on flaps regulation (old style).pdf

On 11/30/2022 at 1:18 PM, Anticept said:

That's the old style board.

There are three banana plugs labeled UP, DOWN, and something else. These manually move the flaps.

The board itself has a 3 or 4 pin plug. You need to jumper 2 pins and put the third one on a switch. If you don't have this switch, one will have to be made. DO NOT JUST GO TRYING TO MAKE ONE. Let me know. If you do this wrong, you will destroy the board and these aren't sold anymore as far as I know, and you will have to retrofit the new style.

Instruction on flaps regulation (old style).pdf 81.78 kB · 6 downloads

Hey Corey ... I have connected the 3 lead up/down switch and the 4 pin button switch. The display flashes in all positions.   I can move the flaps to the desired position with the up/down switch, but when I press the 4 pin button to program it, the display reads "PrG"  When I disconnect the microswitches, the main switch will move the flaps to several presets, but they are not correct.  On the phone Roger said if it wouldn't program, the switch is likely bad.  

Oh, how I long for those halcyon training days of flying old planes with manual flaps!  

Thanks a million, 

~~ Johnny Haley

Palestine, Texas, aka the holy land 😉  

So far my programming efforts are not working. 

The switch position doesn’t match the readout and is one click off … “zero” on the switch reads out as “-6" for example. 

And the readout is flashing … in all switch positions.  

And when I push the “program button” the display reads “PrC”  or “PrG?”  

I am sending you a pic of this on the display.  

Wondering if I have a failed switch … 

PrG means its working. You just press and release. If PrG is stuck on, something is wrong.

You manually move the flaps with a rocker switch connected, press prg, move to next position, press prg, and when done, turn off, disconnect the switch, turn on.

If it's not working you may have a faulty potentiometer.

39 minutes ago, Anticept said:

PrG means its working. You just press and release. If PrG is stuck on, something is wrong.

You manually move the flaps with a rocker switch connected, press prg, move to next position, press prg, and when done, turn off, disconnect the switch, turn on.

If it's not working you may have a faulty potentiometer.

Ok, it doesn't seem to be working ... how would you proceed from here?  

40 minutes ago, Anticept said:

Make sure the potentiometer isn't bad.

It's possible you have a bad board, but that's the expensive fix.

Are they stopping on exactly the same position each time, or does it seem to change with each programming?

I will try programming again and let you know ... 

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

I will try programming again and let you know ... 

This time it worked!   I remembered Roger saying to turn off the power in between programming steps.  

I cannot thank you enough Corey ... not sure how the fleet would manage without the likes of you and Roger. 

Would love to buy you a beer sometime ... call me next time you're in Texas!  🤠

Many, many THANKS and Merry Christmas!  

~~ j ~~ 

E8F8BD9E-41CC-43BB-BE3B-C6CCCB1A1DCA.heic

On 11/29/2022 at 11:06 AM, Roger Lee said:

No pictures, but you guys can give me a call.

Well, amigo, I got it done, thanks to you and my other aviation hero, Corey ... you guys truly are the bomb!  

Many, many THANKS and a very Merry Christmas to you!  

~~ Johnny Haley

Palestine, Tx, aka the holy land 😃

On 11/29/2022 at 9:29 PM, Tip said:

Thanks for all your help, Corey. A friend is in the process of replacing the rotary switch.

Got it done, Tip ... thanks again for the pics and your willingness to help ... I swear it's the best part about flying!  

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!  

~~ Johnny