New CT Owner ; Mixing Gas....

Animosity2k

1 hour ago, Animosity2k said:

Why do you need to siphon the fuel tanks into the wing? Can you not just tip them and put the gas tank nozzle in the fill hole on the wing? What am I missing as EVERYONE mentions siphoning....

I think it is just an easy way to do it without spilling any fuel. Personally, with the jugs I use I just tip it and direct the spout into the hole, while leaving the jug sit on the wing. After it stops draining I then tip it up to get the remaining fuel out of the jug. It is very light and manageable that way.

6 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I think it is just an easy way to do it without spilling any fuel. Personally, with the jugs I use I just tip it and direct the spout into the hole, while leaving the jug sit on the wing. After it stops draining I then tip it up to get the remaining fuel out of the jug. It is very light and manageable that way.

Tom, do you have to hold the jug the entire time then? How long does it take to drain a 5g jug just a couple minutes?

I place a towel on the wing, carry the jug up the ladder and sit it on the towel. With experience you can get your positioning just right. With the tanks cap removed I rotate the jug forward towards the tank and guide the spout into the opening. It will sit like this and drain at least 4 gallons into the tank. I then pick the jug up and finish pouring the fuel into the tank. The only time I'm holding the jug while pouring is during that final pour.

The jugs I have are just like these, except I don't have the added vent. I bet these empty pretty quick. https://www.ebay.com/i/183798719770?chn=ps 

BTW, I wouldn't pay that much for the jugs. I was just showing the style that I have.

If you install a vent like the ones that used to come on plastic gas cans, you'll be able to empty the gas cans in about half the time.  I got mine off of Ebay.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Yellow-Fuel-Gas-Can-Jug-Vent-Cap/782610483?sourceid=csebr037c7d87cc1c8e40daa5737c0ebffccbea&wmlspartner=bizratecom&affcmpid=1199964180&tmode=0000&veh=cse&szredirectid=15613806478403458088310070302008005

Would not recommend those vents.

My experience is . . . . when transporting fuel . . . it’s not a matter of whether they leak . . . it is a matter of when they will leak?

Solution for me, and many others was, “Tuff-Jugs,” without the vent plugs.

By the way, Tuff-Jugs are available with or without those leaky vents.

Again, that was my experience. I tried epoxy and JB Weld for sealing. Both times, they eventually started leaking again.

1 hour ago, Tip said:

Ouch. I just ordered 20 of them on EBay for $6.95.

That doesn’t hurt much.

Before installing though, I would use a good sealant. Your experience may be better than mine.

You can give me your results at Page, eh?😎

18 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I place a towel on the wing, carry the jug up the ladder and sit it on the towel. With experience you can get your positioning just right. With the tanks cap removed I rotate the jug forward towards the tank and guide the spout into the opening. It will sit like this and drain at least 4 gallons into the tank. I then pick the jug up and finish pouring the fuel into the tank. The only time I'm holding the jug while pouring is during that final pour.

The jugs I have are just like these, except I don't have the added vent. I bet these empty pretty quick. https://www.ebay.com/i/183798719770?chn=ps 

BTW, I wouldn't pay that much for the jugs. I was just showing the style that I have.

So are you laying the tanks on the side? Just confused how you get the spout to reach all the way down to the wing, let alone put it in the fill hole. 

7 minutes ago, tespn said:

Everybody comes up with what works for them. Siphoning allows you to fill without spillage.  Also, I can do it from the ground, without a ladder, when at another airport.     

Please explain how you siphon fuel from the ground to the fuel tank?

I realize many people have systems that work.

What I do, learned from this forum, is to use 2.5 gallon Tuff-Jugs with the rubber collar (from Amazon).  They're plenty light to carry on a step-ladder (about 15 pounds), and they drain in about 30 seconds with the internal vent (I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it does work).  Not a drop spills.

Andy