Manufacture Approval for Ram Mount?

johnnyjr

Done some searching and having trouble with this question.  Does anyone know if we need an MRA to add bolted in RAM mount the the CT?  I'l looking for a good place to mount my iPad and have tried the strongest 3M double sided adhesive, but since the RAM ball mounts are not solid on the back side the adhesive will not stay secured to the mount.

I recently purchased a 2005 CTSW and have loved every minute of flying her.  Came from a 172 and this plane is an absolute JOY to fly.  This forum has been an amazing resource for me during all stages of the purchase, training and use of the plane.  Interesting enough the original owner of N89WD was an active member of the forum up till 2015

@Bill that would be perfect if I had the panels setup you are working with. My 696 is mounted to the mushroom and sits in that area, I tried the suction mount next to it but lose too much visibility for my liking.   Long term the answer is to reconfig the panel a bit to get the 696 in the center panel, IPad into the existing mount. Photo will give you an idea what I’m working with. 

@Garrett, sounds like I need the MRA. Once I find a decent place for it I’ll go down that road. Have a couple hour XC tomorrow, I’ll move things around and see what I like.  

Who ever laid this panel out did not use space wisely. 

4FF56C24-57D2-4315-988E-77DCBAD302E9.jpeg

Thank you for all your inputs. 

I tried a few spots this weekend on my trip, I think I like mounting on the support brace to the right side of the compass (no pics, will get one next time I'm out).  it's out of the way of everything, close enough to have access and easy to view.  Probably not the most ideal location for most folks.  For me the iPad is mostly for flight planning (Foreflight) and traffic awareness.  I can easily pop it off the mount if I want to dive into a sectional, but the phone can take care of that too.  The 696 is the main nav tool, and my iphone for checklists, airport information etc...

Appreciate the help, great forum, happy to be part of it and the CT family.

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:24 PM, KentWien said:

I have the ball mounts on the left (iPad) and right (Garmin 796) on my CTsw. Flight Design USA did the work and provided the MRA a few annuals ago. Check with Arian there. 

Kent,  any chance I could see a picture of that setup?  I'm interested in placing a ball mount directly on the left dash and would love to see what you have.  Thanks!

If you do a search you can find my setup...it's a RAM ball attached to the left side of the mushroom with the long arm holding the iPad cradle.  I think I was the first to do it that way.  It puts the iPad right next to the EFIS without blocking anything and sits low enough to not block your outside vision.  I had a suction cup for a while and it works but blocks your view and you have to be really careful about opening your door.