Fly In Camping Trip - X06

UCFKnight1039

Hello All-

I have decided I can not swing a 10 day trip (from Florida) for the Page Fly-in.  I am going to camp at X06, Arcadia Municipal Airport instead.

If any other SouthEast US Pilots would like to meet up, I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you and share some campfire stories.  The Airport has some nice oak shaded camping facilities with a pavilion, fire-pit, grills and hot showers.

Not trying to compete with Page, but if anyone isn't going and wants some meet up, give me  a shout.

October 11-13 @ X06.

Gary

I plugged Page into Foreflight and after review I realized that the time commitment was too great.  I am based in Connecticut.  The Page area looks spectacular however and I can see why people flock to it every year.  Thinking of flying to Sun n Fun in the Spring, a lot less daunting and a good stretch trip on top of my OSH travel last July.  Perhaps  something could be organized at Sun n Fun.  

Even flying from Florida/Georgia seams like a major deal with that huge speed bump in the way.  Kent, I think waiting a year is probably a good thing for my skill level (scaling the Rockies... like holy sh**...).  The thing I learned about the trip to OSH is that the plane is comfortable and able.  It really is a cross country machine.  Climbing from 7,500 to 9,500' to get over some clouds was a no-biggie when I was flying.  I never dreamt I would fly that high before I went on the trip.

Flying to Page would be the ultimate trip for me and it is def. on the bucket list.  Worth flying on to Tuscon to visit the Pima Air Museum, about as world class a facility as it gets.  I visited it when I was out in Tuscon this past Spring but I only had 2 hours.  Need 2 days.

Gary, I will look into the Sun n Fun thing and see if we can get an area a la Oshkosh.  I will call Tom P and see if he has any ideas.  I'd like to see the new FD model.  

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

No need to worry, most of us in the Southeast will get weathered out anyway.  Three years in a row so far.  

October is tough.

Three years in a row ? Whoa ... where do you usually get stuck or is it a crapshoot with the only commonality being that you get stuck on your way somewhere ? 🙂

1 hour ago, Warmi said:

Three years in a row ? Whoa ... where do you usually get stuck or is it a crapshoot with the only commonality being that you get stuck on your way somewhere ? 🙂

It's the Gulf...it's a giant weather generator and October is its most active month.  The one year we did make it, we got delayed in Texas for five days of weather delays coming back.

It's a trip worth doing and Arizona is great in October, but just be aware that most of the rest of the country is not ideal for flying in that month.

• 3 weeks later...