Can you turn on your gopro from cockpit?

kentuckynet

On 3/2/2020 at 9:41 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

I used a step bit, and at each step I tested it until I could pass the cable head through it.

Plan to drill this out tonight, did you do anything to help prevent the cracking? Slow speed? I used to build Plexiglass computer towers back in the day and remembered I always had an issue with it cracking on me. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 9:41 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

I used a step bit, and at each step I tested it until I could pass the cable head through it.

So I just decided to buy an extra cover from FDUSA it was like $12 shipped. I've got my hole drilled my concern now is when placing the battery pack into the wing. The pack I got is fairly heavy and I'm worried the in a steep turn etc it may separate from the Velcro I attach to it. Do you have any other solutions? Has yours come loose? I thought about tying a piece of rope to the battery pack should it break loose from the velcro I could still then fish it out of the wing? 

Thanks in advance. 

Ive used Velcro in many applications - and if you use the right amount - there is no way that is gonna come loose.    However,  if there is enough heat, the 'glue' could melt and not hold well in place.  (this happens in my car when left in direct sunlight)  and --   unless you are planning to do some uncoordinated acro, I would think you are good with just the velcro. 

The most important thing is probably to make sure the adhesive on both Velcro strips adheres well. Read the instructions, but I think wiping both the inner surface of the wing and the battery down with an alcohol wipe would help. Also, both surfaces need to be flat to get a large area of contact. Finally, 3M makes an industrial grade of Velcro called Dual-Lock that has a more powerful adhesive and a stronger locking mechanism. Instead of hooks and loops, both sides have little balls on stems which interlock when pushed together.

Mike Koerner

12 hours ago, cdarza said:

Ive used Velcro in many applications - and if you use the right amount - there is no way that is gonna come loose.    However,  if there is enough heat, the 'glue' could melt and not hold well in place.  (this happens in my car when left in direct sunlight)  and --   unless you are planning to do some uncoordinated acro, I would think you are good with just the velcro. 

It's in a CT so no Acro! However the Velcro I use to hold my plastic molded Bose A20 holders and it consistently seems to fall off the back interior wall of the CT where I have it mounted. 

7 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

The most important thing is probably to make sure the adhesive on both Velcro strips adheres well. Read the instructions, but I think wiping both the inner surface of the wing and the battery down with an alcohol wipe would help. Also, both surfaces need to be flat to get a large area of contact. Finally, 3M makes an industrial grade of Velcro called Dual-Lock that has a more powerful adhesive and a stronger locking mechanism. Instead of hooks and loops, both sides have little balls on stems which interlock when pushed together.

Mike Koerner

I tried this dual lock first on my A20 holders and the sticky glue on the back didn't hold to the rear cabin wall either

24 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

It's in a CT so no Acro! However the Velcro I use to hold my plastic molded Bose A20 holders and it consistently seems to fall off the back interior wall of the CT where I have it mounted. 

Nothing seems to stick well to the interior surfaces of the CT. I suspect it is due to the texture of the painted surfaces. You could always bond a portion of the loop side to the inside bottom wing skin with some epoxy or epoxy Cabosil mix. That is what they did for the rear cloth baggage bulkhead.

6 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Nothing seems to stick well to the interior surfaces of the CT. I suspect it is due to the texture of the painted surfaces. You could always bond a portion of the loop side to the inside bottom wing skin with some epoxy or epoxy Cabosil mix. That is what they did for the rear cloth baggage bulkhead.

Tom that is a great idea! Once I actually remove the inspection plate on the wing and get up inside how much room is there for everything to move around? I'd assume theres not a way for it to slide all the way down to the wing root? 

5 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

It can't go to the wing root, but there are some pretty big open spaces inside the wing.

Alright, I will clean it exceptionally well before putting the velcro on as well as attempt to tie some sort of strip to the battery pack should it ever become loose then I could just reel it back in from within the wing.