CTSW airbox damage and repair

Hi All,

I have seen this a few times so let's talk about it.

My airbox on my CTSW is broken where the carb heat rod goes all the way through from one side to the other on the airbox. One side of the rod has broken out of the airbox.

OHHH what to do?

Okay since you ask. rolleyes.gif

The repair is not too tough. First disconnect the carb heat cable in the instrument panel where it attaches to the carb heat rod. Then unscrew the 4 screws that hold the airbox in place. Remove the 3" CEET air intake tubes attached on the carbs. Leave the CEET tubing alone attached to the airbox. Now slide the airbox, CEET tubing and carb heat cable all the way out. Use 2 layers of fiber glass cloth with epoxy and embed a large stainless steel fender washer in the cloth aligned with the existing hole. Put 1 layer against the airbox, then the washer and then another layer of cloth. There is no need to goop on lots of epoxy as the strength is in the cloth. Once the cloth and epoxy is down then use a paper towel to sop up any excess epoxy. Do the same thing to the other side of the airbox. Leave it overnight then drill a new hole for the rod to go through. Remount the airbox and connect up the carb heat cable. It won't break again. biggrin.gif

Roger, my airbox is almost impossible to slide down and forward. All of the free space that existed between the airbox and the fuel hoses which run underneath the box was taken up when the firewall blanket was installed. During the upcoming rubber replacement, I will re-reroute my fuel hoses per approval we have received from FD. This will will give me space to drop my airbox down and allow me to add the reinforcing washers and fiberglass for the carb heat rod pivot which you mention. A word of caution here for anyone dropping the airbox. My right side ignition module bracket has a sharp angle on the bracket which dug into the airbox last time I wrestled this down and this bracket is prone to poke a hole in the airbox. The airbox is thin fiberglass and is pretty delicate.

Hi Dick,

The person that did your firewall blanket should have re-routed those two fuel hoses to go under the engine mount bracket that they set on top of now which gives you plenty of room to get to the airbox. you could re-route them now. there are no restrictions to keep you from doing this with the engine on.

My airbox shaft bushing area fell to pieces at 90hrs. It was a warranty claim. Even though I told them it could be repaired for $50, it wasnt accepted.So photos of the component were shipped off to Germany and they posted out a new airbox.[Which I reinforced before installing!!

Archived