big bore?

ls6pilot

I put the big bore kit in my 2014 CTLSi about a year ago.  I had it installed by Ronnie Smith at Mississippi Light Sport Aircraft who has been refining his kits for many years.  I've had no issues with the installation or performance.  I was told that Rotax requested two sets of Ronnie's kits to evaluate.

The power difference is considerable.  Ronnie thinks I get about an additional 15-18 horsepower.  It delivers what I need most: shorter take-off and better climb power.  I did not notice any airspeed increases.  However, my rate of climb at gross weight has increased from about 450fpm to about 800-1000fpm.  This is taking off from my airpark at 3370msl for the first 3000 feet above the ground and an initial density altitude of about 5000 feet.  Just after the kit was installed I did have to re-pitch the propeller.

Here in northern Arizona we fly in the summer at density altitudes of 9000 feet or higher.  Take-off and initial climb is much more relaxing now.  At a 9000msl density altitude I still break ground at 900-1000 feet and climb at about 450fpm. Cruise is still as before, about 4.1gph at 108 knots.

Personally I'm quite very happy I bought the kit.

7 hours ago, DocRon said:

I put the big bore kit in my 2014 CTLSi about a year ago.  I had it installed by Ronnie Smith at Mississippi Light Sport Aircraft who has been refining his kits for many years.  I've had no issues with the installation or performance.  I was told that Rotax requested two sets of Ronnie's kits to evaluate.

The power difference is considerable.  Ronnie thinks I get about an additional 15-18 horsepower.  It delivers what I need most: shorter take-off and better climb power.  I did not notice any airspeed increases.  However, my rate of climb at gross weight has increased from about 450fpm to about 800-1000fpm.  This is taking off from my airpark at 3370msl for the first 3000 feet above the ground and an initial density altitude of about 5000 feet.  Just after the kit was installed I did have to re-pitch the propeller.

Here in northern Arizona we fly in the summer at density altitudes of 9000 feet or higher.  Take-off and initial climb is much more relaxing now.  At a 9000msl density altitude I still break ground at 900-1000 feet and climb at about 450fpm. Cruise is still as before, about 4.1gph at 108 knots.

Good to know. He is a little over an hour’s flight from me.

18 hours ago, DocRon said:

DocRon...I don't want to pry, but would you be willing to share your installed cost?  I would consider this upgrade, depending on the price.  Zipper Bigbore will do a 1464cc big bore kit installed for $5100, but it's way out in Elko, Nevada.  I assume the Mississippi kit  is a 1464cc upgrade, which seems to be standard and about as big as you can go without machining the case.  Living in Georgia, Mississippi is a pretty short hop to have that work done. 

3 hours ago, DocRon said:

He may have gone up on these.  He did mine for $4000 plus $1000 since I said I wanted to keep the replaced cylinders. 

I watched him install the new cylinders; it took about three hours.  He had someone helping him.

Thanks...pricing sounds in line with what I've seen elsewhere.

• 2 years later...

Hi to anyone who has information about the Zipper Big Bore Kit for the 912S Rotax engine.  I am interested in increasing the HP of my 912S but when I tap on the Zipper website a message pops up saying "There has been a critical error on this website".  I am wondering if this means Zipper no longer sell/support this Kit for the Rotax 912S ??.  Can anyone shed any light on this please ?.  Thanks in advance. Regards, Allen B.