uAvionix TailBeacon Install ADS-B

GrassStripFlyBoy

Details on how to install TailBeacon direct to airframe with minimal modifications.  There are two aspects to address, the product is supplied with tiny #4 screws and hole locations are closer than factory.  I liked the idea of maintaining one of the factory metal nut inserts and chose the upper, so here's the scoop:

First, modify the mounting plate by opening the through hole up to 5/32", and then drop the countersink pocket a bit more with 15/64" drill so the larger screw head remains flush, must be flush or slightly minus, don't leave this up even a tiny bit (use a drill press here):

image.png.893bad8ce4c3c964758d33c8f9d701e0.png

Buy a few 4mm x 16 flat head stainless screws in the avionics isle at Home Depot, $1.22 a pack.  Chuck one up in drill, lay a file on the head, and spin in down until it matches up to plate pocket.  Shown here is the stock screw, modified screw in middle, and uAvionix screw on the right:

image.png.19c39150433cdbf6b4f2da4f13303ea0.png

Dremel a hole located using the plate as guide, this is clearance and can be a tick larger than size of TailBeacon unit.  Buzz rough hole with carbide cutter, clean it up with the drum sander.  Drill hole for lower mounting screw again using the plate as guide, pilot smaller then open with 5/32".   The new lower hole uses a standard 4mm locknut installed on screw through the opening.  Countersink the bottom mounting hole so a screw can be used to seal this up (use a real countersink tool here, don't drill this).  

image.png.6a4124a14675ea7dca334a00803cbdf2.png

Final Result (does not yet have gasket in place, this was my first trial of the install)  Very pleased with how this turned out:

image.png.546ec8d14b1da76f56cca97f27e91724.png

7 hours ago, BravoFoxtrot said:

Above you state: "and then drop the countersink pocket a bit more with 5/64" drill so the larger screw head remains flush". Is this drill size correct? I am thinking it should be closer to 7/32".

Good catch, I missed the 1 on upper fraction, edited to correct 15/64" 

Also, uAvionix offers a plate without the bevel on edge and larger #6 screw sizes, this detail is explained on their website in the install instructions, it has a -002 part number but I don't see this offered as selection on Spruce, just experimental and certified for options on the base -001 small screw sized plate.  The -002 would not need as much, if any mod work, can't speak to how much clearance that plate would be made with but probably darn close to working as is.