Garmin 496 to 696 Conversion

TheFrisco

IT'S DONE ... TEST FLIGHT HOPEFULLY TOMORROW

Many of you have been patiently supporting me in my conversion from the Garmin 496 to the 696 and today I got it finally all to work.

WHY did I even do this? Well as you can see the HS34 was INOP when I got the plane so I didn't even get a stall warning, leave alone engine alarms so that was a MUST FIX. Turns out that was a bad serial cable between the HS34 and the SL30, bad idea to take out the HS34 to fix it IMHO. So while I was at it doing that, I thought why not get a screen that I can read and the 696 was an affordable option. I even sold my 496 on Facebook Marketplace 🙂

HOW did I go about this? After troubleshooting the HS34/SL30 serial connection, I moved the HS34 and the cabin/carb heat ... Cutting the new HS34 hole on top of the D100 was a real PIA. Then lots and lots of work on the bracket because the SL30/GLT327 needed to slide to the bottom, new holes and a new bracket for the 696. Then new wiring for the GDL39 3D which I got off eBay. I followed the attached diagram from http://www.scflier.com/topic/450-garmin-gdl-39-3d-ads-b-in-receiver-scflier-participation-raffle/. Lastly, don't forget to setup the 696 with the correct interface settings and check all your baud rates. I had the wrong baud rate for my HS34 and needed to go into the D100 setup for the HSI to fix that.

One special tip, if your 696 battery is dead, make sure to check out this video ... it brought my battery back to life

Hope this helps someone else, so far so great. Love how all is connected now, and how I can easily just push frequencies from my 696 into my SL30 instead of twisting dials ... Almost like a G1000 LOL.

Thanks a lot to many of you who helped along the way, special mention goes to @Eric, @Tip, @Tom Baker and @okent

Now I just hope the gusts in the 30s calm down for a flight tomorrow!

Aloha from Maui,

Robert aka TheFrisco

The Old 496.jpg

The New 696.jpg

02_Garmin_GDL-39_3D_to_Garmin_696_Display_and_CRUZ_S-LSA_Avionics.thumb.JPG.7b6f9ff6661ec92c2068e9e21e1b84fe.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 8:04 PM, okent said:

Wow, that looks great!

I'm considering doing the same.  Looking forward to some pireps on the new setup.

Awesome!

Another option if you're thinking of upgrading from your 496, is a Garmin Aera 660.  I recently permanently mounted a Garmin GDL39D and replaced the 496 with the Aera 660, pretty easy installation.  Picked up an Airgizmos Aera 660 Panel Dock from Sporty's for $129.  It allows me to easily remove the 660 to take home and update the DB (I update it every month).  The 660 has traffic, terrain, and weather, allows you to customize the data fields (note the fields in each corner of the picture), it will also transfer the frequencies to the SL-30..  I fly with my Ipad running Garmin Pilot.  I connect the Ipad via Bluetooth to the GDL39D and the Aera 660, which allows me to easily transfer my flight plan from the Ipad to the Aera 660.  

Aera660.jpg

Ipad.jpg

Congrats!  I made a similar change but went to an iFly 740b, because I got annoyed at Garmin's high prices, especially for subscriptions.  The iFly subscription cost is about $70 per year for everything.  Similar subs for my 496 would be about $499 annually, so I only subscribed to terrain and obstacles and it was still more than the iFly subscription.

The iFly is slightly less refined than the Garmin products, but very functional. So far I've been overall happy with the switch.

OWBimm5.jpg

When I bought my CTLS, I already had the GDL39 3D and the Aera 660.  Had the 660 yoke mounted in my old 172...    The current cost for North America Yearly Subscription for everything for the Garmin Aera 660 is $162.25 (with Tax) per year.  My CTLS has a Uavionix ADS-B In and Out (was installed when I bought the plane), but it's not compatible with Garmin Pilot (I tried Foreflight, but I don't like it as much as Garmin Pilot), so I installed the GDL 39.

I am curious why it showed battery missing. 696 units are known to go to a black screen and need to be rebooted. The suggestion by Garmin is to take the battery out and leave it out which eliminates the problem. One of our planes has the battery removed and has not had a reoccurrence of the black screen. Another has an occasional black screen and we have always been able to reboot by holding down the two outside soft keys, one on each side, and the up/down arrow button all at the same time. The black screen is also fixed by letting Garmin battery go completely dead. Never get the battery missing on the one without a battery. Does anyone have experience in this area?

1 hour ago, Al Downs said:

I am curious why it showed battery missing. 696 units are known to go to a black screen and need to be rebooted. The suggestion by Garmin is to take the battery out and leave it out which eliminates the problem. One of our planes has the battery removed and has not had a reoccurrence of the black screen. Another has an occasional black screen and we have always been able to reboot by holding down the two outside soft keys, one on each side, and the up/down arrow button all at the same time. The black screen is also fixed by letting Garmin battery go completely dead. Never get the battery missing on the one without a battery. Does anyone have experience in this area?

I heard this is very common that the battery is dead or so the device thinks. Here is a video that helps with that ... worked for me!

• 2 years later...
On 2/1/2020 at 9:49 PM, TheFrisco said:

IT'S DONE ... TEST FLIGHT HOPEFULLY TOMORROW

Many of you have been patiently supporting me in my conversion from the Garmin 496 to the 696 and today I got it finally all to work.

WHY did I even do this? Well as you can see the HS34 was INOP when I got the plane so I didn't even get a stall warning, leave alone engine alarms so that was a MUST FIX. Turns out that was a bad serial cable between the HS34 and the SL30, bad idea to take out the HS34 to fix it IMHO. So while I was at it doing that, I thought why not get a screen that I can read and the 696 was an affordable option. I even sold my 496 on Facebook Marketplace 🙂

HOW did I go about this? After troubleshooting the HS34/SL30 serial connection, I moved the HS34 and the cabin/carb heat ... Cutting the new HS34 hole on top of the D100 was a real PIA. Then lots and lots of work on the bracket because the SL30/GLT327 needed to slide to the bottom, new holes and a new bracket for the 696. Then new wiring for the GDL39 3D which I got off eBay. I followed the attached diagram from http://www.scflier.com/topic/450-garmin-gdl-39-3d-ads-b-in-receiver-scflier-participation-raffle/. Lastly, don't forget to setup the 696 with the correct interface settings and check all your baud rates. I had the wrong baud rate for my HS34 and needed to go into the D100 setup for the HSI to fix that.

One special tip, if your 696 battery is dead, make sure to check out this video ... it brought my battery back to life

Hope this helps someone else, so far so great. Love how all is connected now, and how I can easily just push frequencies from my 696 into my SL30 instead of twisting dials ... Almost like a G1000 LOL.

Thanks a lot to many of you who helped along the way, special mention goes to @Eric, @Tip, @Tom Baker and @okent

Now I just hope the gusts in the 30s calm down for a flight tomorrow!

Aloha from Maui,

Robert aka TheFrisco

The Old 496.jpg

The New 696.jpg

02_Garmin_GDL-39_3D_to_Garmin_696_Display_and_CRUZ_S-LSA_Avionics.thumb.JPG.7b6f9ff6661ec92c2068e9e21e1b84fe.jpeg

Robert.

Reading into the capabilities of the hs34, it has the capability to output synthetic voice alerts, with out it, the dynon will do alarms only. 

Is your wired to output these voice alerts? 

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, 207WF said:

I was thinking about replacing my 496 with a Garmin GTN 635 Xi.

that way I can practice full GPS approaches.

The era660 seems to need a bigger  hole and I don't think its IFR.

Anyone thought about this?

WF

It can be done, I would personally go with the GNX 375 and replace your transponder, Or the GNC 355 which gives you a radio, ( Second one if you want to add audio panel.)

What Avionics do you have? If you have the Dynon D100, You will also need an HS34 (discontinued) to get the navigator to talk to your avionics, You could get around this by installing a separate HSI if you wanted. 

• 2 weeks later...