Changes due to Covid-19

1 hour ago, AGLyme said:

I grew up in an era when I would come back to the house after wiping out on my bike over at the neighbors and my father would say "walk it off, you will be alright".  Nowadays, parents call the ambulance, the kid would take antibiotics, therapy would be scheduled and the neighbor would be sued....; )

Governments downplay, the Press overplays... a condition as old as the hills.  My belief is that if 3-4 of us -- out of 100 cases -- are going to die from an infection that spreads from human interaction, and the only way to "control" it until the pills/shots arrive, which may take 12-18 months, is to separate and continue to bathe in disinfectants and wear masks in public and at work.  It sucks, but there is no other way until the pills/shots arrive.  Any of us would feel terrible if we didn't adhere to the current preventative basics and we got our family sick.  3-4% is a scary ratio when it hits home.  

The goodness that will come out of this is I believe is that we humans will have to learn how to live together and depend on each other again.  Meanwhile, I will drive to the airport and pre-flight the CT just to get out of the house as everyone is here and we are "learning" how to live as one... a nightmare, but the alternative is far worse.

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  3-4% is a small percentage, but it's way more than what hospitals can handle, when added on top of the normal case load of illness and injuries.

Since I don't have to interact with people at the airport, I've been using the opportunity to get the airplane ready for spring flying.  It's been down a couple of months for wing pull & sight tube replacement, BRS repack and rocket replacement, and conditional inspection.  Hopefully I'll actually be able to fly soon.

Young people are getting sick and dying.  There was a chief resident in Otolaryngology who died from this virus.  She was just over 30 years old.  Healthy otherwise.

I have kids that age and they weren't really concerned until I relayed that bit of information.

Granted, your odds are better if your're young but it's no guarantee that you'll make it.

Not everything makes the news.

One bright side, I got to fly an RV-10 yesterday and it was great!

Flies like the CT but without the need for rudder.  Crazy.

Planning on taking out the CTLS Saturday to do a little social separation.

We do have  better data than a comparison of reported cases / deaths to get an overstated death rate.  

• Rate of growth or decline of deaths
  • Rate of growth or decline of hospitalizations

We can use these, with hospitalizations being a more early signal.

EDIT  Even the rate of increase of new cases is a comparison that could be useful.  Governor Cuomo just announced a decrease in the rate of growth in New York new cases. 

• 1 year later...
  • Admin2 unpinned and unfeatured this topic