Great Lakes Area Fly In - Calling all Pilots!

GrassStripFlyBoy

With most of us confined to stay at home orders and gatherings prohibited, I'm floating out the idea of planning a CT Fly In when things open back up, and would like to start by soliciting feedback around dates, interest, and possible location.  I know there are a few regulars on the forum here from MI/OH/IL, and would like to target a venue in one of these states.  I'm thinking end of May to first of June for timeframe, so let's say May 16 / 23 / 30 / June 6 / 13 as window to pick from.  Location wise we could look at a centrally located airport if we desire simplicity for all involved, or more of a destination airport with perhaps a meal service nearby, ideas being Sporty's Pilot shop down by Cincinnati, or Mackinaw Island to the north end, or maybe one of the lake Erie islands in the middle.

So, at this time consider it an idea in the early planning stages.  Reply to this with:

A - How interested & committed to the idea of attending are you, scale 1-5 with 1 being a maybe, and 5 being I'll make it at all cost.

B - The state and general region you'll depart from: ie northern OH

C - Your preference on location: close and central to all interested, or a fun destination.  Suggestions welcome.

D - Any dates that won't work for you from the 5/16 to 6/13 window, currently looking at Saturdays only.

I'm a A=5, B=east MI, C=fun destination, D=wide open

As this is an informal day gathering, I'll support this even if just a handful want to connect, I'm saying this is a go right now regardless of how many sign up.  Lastly, being informal I expect we'll keep the date open right up to near the event based on health situation and then 10 day forecast, will only accept a decent weather window as we don't need that pressure either.

46 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Was expecting that comment from you!  Ok, we have a start, one vote for IL!  Maybe you could demo a wing pull or something relevant, that could be an open invite on any day for me - I'd take a vacation day and be a helping hand.

I don't know that you can count me as a vote. I don't own a CT anymore. My comment was more of an inside joke for those who know me. Kind of like the self employed guy who says his boss is a a##hole.

Sounds like a good idea!  A few of us have talked about doing this but it never really happened.  I am interested and Saturdays are usually good.  I’m in western PA just north of Pittsburgh.  Several of us (CTs) have been to Put n Bay for a casual get together.  Might be busy on a Saturday though...

Yeah - I'm seeing things open up before much longer, but the phased approach is yet to become a clear plan with timing.  We'll monitor the situation and when it is possible, we'll firm something up - summer will likely be the timing.  I did spend some time searching airports, and have been flying weekly as well.  I'm hoping my LSA 16hr class for June 20/21 here in MI remains a go, still too early to know.  Worst case I'll have to hit a different state later in year, or it is rescheduled locally.

If it's around June 7-13th you can 100% count me in assuming my CT wing is repaired by then (which I think it will be). I am from Cleveland Ohio so the islands are a 20min flight from my home base. With that being said I'd prefer to pick a different meet up location! Mackinaw Island sounds awesome!