Baggage Bay doors rattling

207WF

Over time the holes in the composite structure that accept the pins holding in the bottom of the baggage bay doors wear and enlarge on the CTSW. At a critical stage the baggage bay doors start to rattle. Its unnerving, and I aborted a takeoff once because of it. At first, I would wrap the pins in metal tape to increase their diameters. At some point this was getting ridiculous, so I got some 3/8” rubber grommets. Cutting them open with a pair of scissors makes them easy to install in the holes. A little Vaseline petroleum jelly makes everything slide smoothly. Problem solved. - WF

What I did before it got to be a real issue, was to fit some foam neoprene washers, about 2 to 3 mm thick and a push fit over the pins. About half an inch in dia. This does two things, it stops the movement and forces the door upward so that you get maximum latch engagement......

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a case where someone was using duct tape around the edges of the baggage bay to force the doors outward, in order to keep them tight against the latch pins and stop the rattling. At some point however, they must have hit the end of the pins and the baggage bay doors flew off in flight. Very expensive. So, I would be careful about any solution that pushes the door outward against the pins. WF

Archived