New dog in town

Hi Guys,

Sebring has given up their dealership for the CT. The new CT dealer in Florida is in Miami and is called Premier One Aviation. They do service at roughly 1/2 the price of Sebring.

Premier One Aviation began operations in June 2010. They are the FDUSA dealer for Miami, the Keys and the Caribbean. They currently have 3 CTLS on the flight school and we are also a FD Pilot Center. We also have a full-time Rotax engine Certified mechanic (A&P / IA) on staff.

We should spread the word and use their flight center and service. We should shortly see them posting on the our forum.

http://www.premier1aviation.com/

Miami is a lousy location for a Southeastern US distributor/dealer.

Why do you say that?

I live in a relatively depressed (but beautiful) portion of Appalachia. I recently visited my daughter, who live in an apt just off Las Olas in Ft. Lauderdale. Sitting at a restaurant there and watching the Hummers and Corvettes and Mercedes parading by reminded me what a hub of economic activity and extravagance South Florida is. I lived there for about 30 years, but after being away for a while the difference pops into sharp relief. Seems to me like a good place to go looking for discretionary dollars for an expensive hobby.

In any case, I have both business and family contacts in S FL, and having a decent ROTAX mechanic nearby would be a plus for me when I'm down there.

To administrators: Is there some way to update the Forum's "Maintenance Technician" section for available Rotax repair technicians/locations in the U.S.? I went there to see where the Rotax repair places are and it seems that there isn't much shown. How about starting a new thread, something like "where's your favorite Rotax repair facility"? If someone has had repairs done and they know of a place, put this in here. Maybe start a list going as a "work in progress" for Rotax locations? Since I live in Michigan, I will look into what is available that is within reasonable distance (1.5 to 2 hours flight time?) in my area. Maybe others could do this for their locations? Just a suggestion.

Hi Dick,

Ye of little faith. ohmy.gif

My feelings are hurt. sad.gif You think I would leave you hanging? laugh.gif Here you go. wink.gif

http://www.rainbowav...m/repairman.htm

http://flightdesignu...ervice-centers/

People do quite often travel 1 hr - 6 hrs to maint. facilities on a regular basis. I have one from Utah tomorrow and one from San Francisco next week.

Rex Johnson in Tulsa, OK has them come from 5-6 different states and I have them come from 5-6 different states. I have people come from San Francisco, CA and all the surrounding states of AZ. They come down for a couple of days for a little get away and fun and I do an inspection. People want a mechanic they can trust and are will to travel or bypass other mechanics when they find one. I would, too, especially after some of the things I have seen some mechanics do that aren't Rotax trained or not up on LSA's. You don't need to pay $95 and hr either for a good mechanic. I know some states do seem to be higher, but that may go with the cost of living for that state.

Here are a few friends that I personally know are good.

If you live in the Colorado area here is another good one. Ed Babovec, 303-587-0174, just north of Denver. Tell him I sent you. He's a good mechanic with LSA, knows Rotax very well and a nice guy. Dick Maddux in Pennsacola, Florida, 850-304-7371, tell him I sent you.

Perea Anthony in Miami, Fl 786-417-8570. Wayne Flemington, southern Cal. 951-926-9667, he's very good. Tell him I sent you.

These guys are good LSA and Rotax mechanics and I would recommend each one and none are expensive

• 3 weeks later...

Nancy and I were just at Kendell-Tamiami TMB) airport and I spoke to a student and instructor giving flight instruction in a CTSW. We stop at Sebring to refuel, they have mogas, and a trip from Pensacola to Miami is significantly less expensive that way. I spoke to John Hurst, Lockwood Aviation and he told me about the change, I was really surprised. I can attest that Sebring/Lockwood is a first-class operation with a really fine maintenance staff/capability. I bought my CTLS there and in answer to the question of would I fly 4+ hours to get maintenance, Yes and I have been doing it since August 2008. Here in Pensacola, in deference to Roger Lee, I could not find any maintenance type who worked on the Rotax/LSA. Phil Lockwood made the strategic busines decision and I hope it works out, I am a Lockwood Aviation fan.

See ya, Ken and Nancy Nolde 370 hours

PS if I can get hold of an EAA Editor, I have written another article I would liek to see published--Living With an LSA: Two Years Down the Road

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ken,

I really look forward to your new article "Living with an LSA". You said "another article". You have another one on the same subject? If so, where is that?

I agree on traveling for maintenance and annuals. I have an FBO only seven miles away but I take my CT 200nm to a Flight Design approved operation. It's just peace of mind.

Archived