HELP: In air weather reporting and radar!

My 2012 CTLSi is equipped w/ Dynon Skyviews and a Garmin 796. I also fly with a iPad pro and Foreflight. I've noticed that I don't seem to get any active weather reports on any of my devices. My understanding is the 796 requires a subscription for any weather information however I would have thought that the Dynon system could still pull weather and that my Foreflight if synced to Skyview could pull it from there? I swear in the past I used to see updates in foreflight and it would say provided via ADSB, what am I missing? For the most part I rely on checking the weather before hand, and if things start to change in the air I reach out to approach control for information.

I would also check to make sure the iPad is still connecting to the Dynon WiFi. I have once or twice seen the iPad not automatically connect to the Dynon Skyview WiFi. Also, look under the settings in ForeFlight and check devices. The skyview should show up. I have also seen it on occasion where it would connect to the WiFi, but Foreflight would not show it as a connected device. Had to disable and re-enable the WiFi module on the skyview.

7 hours ago, garrettgee2001 said:

I would also check to make sure the iPad is still connecting to the Dynon WiFi. I have once or twice seen the iPad not automatically connect to the Dynon Skyview WiFi. Also, look under the settings in ForeFlight and check devices. The skyview should show up. I have also seen it on occasion where it would connect to the WiFi, but Foreflight would not show it as a connected device. Had to disable and re-enable the WiFi module on the skyview.

Can confirm I am connected both ways.

8 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

What altitude do you fly at?  I find I can get traffic on the ground, but have to be at 2000ft AGL or so to get weather via ADS-B.

Typically about 2000-3000 AGL. Sometimes like I mentioned I will see updated airport info (wind direction, altimeter, etc) in the weather tab on Foreflight and it will show "Updated 23min ago via ADS-B". But those are far and few between when I get them. Maybe I'm just up to high? Any other thoughts? I should be able to get radar regardless of foreflight via my Dynons no?

3 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Typically about 2000-3000 AGL. Sometimes like I mentioned I will see updated airport info (wind direction, altimeter, etc) in the weather tab on Foreflight and it will show "Updated 23min ago via ADS-B". But those are far and few between when I get them. Maybe I'm just up to high? Any other thoughts? I should be able to get radar regardless of foreflight via my Dynons no?

Climb up to 5500-6500ft MSL and see if the situation improves.  It could just be a reception issue; if so higher altitude = better reception.  It's ground clutter like mountains & buildings that interferes with line of sight to the ADS-B ground stations.

• 3 months later...